Problem saving docs in Word 2003

Hano17 08:47 05 Dec 09

I've had to re-install all files on my laptop after using the recovery disk. I reinstalled Windows XP-ME and Office 2003(Student & Teacher), also installed all the current updates. Word worked ok for a few days then I started to get a message about saving changes to global template, I'm now unable to save docs at all, if I click on the save icon nothing happens, same with "save" or "save as" from the file tab, if I close the doc and ask it to save, it does nothing, the only way to close the doc, is if I dont save it. I've run repair from the Office disk, and re-install too. The problem seems to have started after I installed updates. Any suggestions??

mgmcc 09:17 05 Dec 09

Do a search for the "normal.dot" file, which is Word's default template file, and delete it. Word will create a new "normal.dot" template file next time the program is launched.

Hano17 09:51 05 Dec 09

I've looked for"normal.dot" cant find it, I also searched for files with the .dot extension, no joy there, I looked in:
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Templates
but no normal.dot there

VoG II 09:53 05 Dec 09

You need to enable searching for hidden files and folders.

Click Start, click Search, click All files and folders, and then click More advanced options.

Click to select the Search hidden files and folders check boxes.

Hano17 11:02 05 Dec 09

Oh, its now giving me a message about "Saving the autorecovery document being postponed"

Hano17 11:27 05 Dec 09

Ok found the normal.dot template and deleted it, doesn't seem to have made any difference, it still wont let me save my documents. My instinct is to un-install Office, then re-install it along with all the updates, any suggestions?

Thank you Vog and mgmcc for your help so far

Sea Urchin 14:49 05 Dec 09

The clue is in the term "saving changes to the global template". As has been said this refers to the normal.dot template. When you searched for the normal.dot file did you find more than one? If so you should rename them both abnormal.dot then restart and try opening Word again.

If no luck then try opening Word in safe mode. Go to Start and Run - type in winword.exe /a (note space before slash) and OK - Word should open. Can you now save a document?

Whether Yes or No then go to this link which will give you much more information about your problem - and hopefully a solution. By the way - do you run a Norton AV program? This link will tell you what to do.

click here

Sea Urchin 15:05 05 Dec 09

You also mentioned a message about AutoRecovery. In Word go to Tools - Options - Save tab - and uncheck the box beside 'Save AutoRecover info every:'. This is one of the add-ins mentioned in my previous link - it might be the one causing the problem.

Hano17 19:33 05 Dec 09

Thank you so much mgmcc, VoG and Sea Urchin, that seems to be it sorted...really appreciated

Sea Urchin 20:17 05 Dec 09

Glad to hear that it's sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…