Problem Running Ad-Aware SE Personal

Steve- 22:30 24 Jul 05

Mesh Ultima 17 Notebook. Win XP Home.

Ad-aware runs Ok when my Laptop is booted then refuses to appear on susequent atempts to run. The process Ad-aware.exe is still runnng although nothing appears under applications. The process refuses to stop when "end process" is clicked. Logging off and on as a different user still show the process under the previous name!

Rebooting again allows the prog to run initially.

I have tried a system file check, reinstall and a restore to the initial setup to no avail.

Please does anyone have any ideas about what could be causing this.

stalion 22:33 24 Jul 05

have you got the latest version
click here

Steve- 22:35 24 Jul 05

I believe I have, it shows as 1.06r1

stalion 22:36 24 Jul 05

try a re-install

Steve- 22:37 24 Jul 05

I have re-installed several times to no avail.

stalion 22:48 24 Jul 05

uninstall adaware first, then a clean up with this then download adaware afresh and try re-installing
click here

Steve- 08:27 25 Jul 05

Tried the CCleaner programme and also tried deleting all traces of Ad-aware manualy from the registry but but result still the same I can run the prog once or sometimes twice and then it locks into the running processes and will not start or at least let me see that it has started. I think a call to Mesh is indicated!

stalion 19:17 25 Jul 05

yes probably your best course of action now
all the best

Steve- 21:20 25 Jul 05

Mesh suggested a re-load, but after a bit of research my daughter found that this problem and freezing of Firefox and Spybot could be caused by having a Hyperthreading processor, behaviour stopped by right clocking on Ad-Aware.exe process in task manager and selecting "affinity" then deleting tick in CPU 1 box. This cures the problem temporarily and has to be done at each run of the program.
A more permanent fix is to download the imageCFG affinity mask tool!! from here click here
and follow directions.

stalion 21:28 25 Jul 05

thankyou for posting the solution it will help other users

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…