Problem with router on Tiscali Broadband

herbie53 20:51 05 Jun 06

Hi, I am on Tiscali 2mb Broadband which has been great using the included USB Sagem Modem, but recently I bought a DLink DSL 504 ADSL router, entered my settings into it, and the router connected to the internet, I get an internet gateway connection on both of my 2 computers, but I cannot access the internet through either of them. Computers are: Dell Dimension 8300 2.8ghz 512mb ram, 80gb hard disk win xp pro, 2nd computer: Home built AMD Sempron 2600, 512mb, 80gb hard drive win xp home. When I run the network setup wizard I can select the internet gateway as the connection for accessing the internet but still cannot access the internet! Then I bought a Sitecom ADSL Router from Maplin - I entered my Tiscali settings into this router - eventually after much fiddling it connected to the internet and was working fine for 30 seconds then disconnected, I was able to do this several times but each time it disconnected after a few seconds and now all I get when trying to connect is "Connect Error". Any help to get this working will be appreciated - I'm getting desperate!

ade.h 20:57 05 Jun 06

(Deja vu) Have you configured your client firewalls to allow communications through the LAN?

herbie53 21:07 05 Jun 06

I am currently using the Windows Firewall on both computers - I think the windows network setup wizard said it configures the windows firewall automatically - do you think this is true? thanks for your help.

ade.h 21:16 05 Jun 06

It's true in a sense, but ICF is well known for its potential to cause networking problems, so it is *possible* that it could be to blame in this case. Either use a decent firewall, like Kerio or Outpost Lite, or don't use one at all.

You only need to run the NSW if/when you are ready to make a workgroup and use file/printer sharing; don't bother running it until your internet access is working through the LAN.

I think that you need to re-assess very carefully the router's setup; you may have made an error.

herbie53 18:09 06 Dec 06

Got it sorted - the problem was 2 defunct routers - I now have a Netgear DG834 which works perfectly! :D

Jimmy14 22:56 06 Dec 06

That's what router I'm using for Tiscali Broadband and so far so good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…