Problem removing a virus

chalkie 11:29 15 Jun 09

Over the weekend my daughter borrowed my laptop. Today, after some strange happenings, I have discovered that it appears to have been infected by a virus called "nebuler". It is apparently a trojan that infects as a BHO and despite several attempts cannot get rid of it.

Norton 2009 does not find it! although it is mentioned on their website etc,SpyBot does, and removes it, only for it to return the next time the computer restarts or IE is run.

I cannot seem to find an answer anywhere, and yes I do use firefox too, but have to use IE for certain things etc.

Vista with IE8 if it helps. Thanks in advance.

T I M B O 11:35 15 Jun 09

I use Malwarebytesclick here

Download, install, update,,, run full scan in safe mode or without internet connection,,,

Best of luck,,,,

OTT_Buzzard 11:35 15 Jun 09

How did you discover the virus is Norton doesn't find it?

Do you must have other anti-malware software on the PC?

birdface 11:49 15 Jun 09

Make sure you use the free version of Malwarebytes.

birdface 11:58 15 Jun 09

Going with Norton it is not supposed to be on Vista,
At least you know its not a false possitive.

click here

birdface 12:25 15 Jun 09

If the rest fail give this one a try.

click here

Its a pay for program with 30 day trial and it will remove anything it finds .If it asks for payment ignore it and carry on with the scan.

But I am sure Malwarebytes should remove it for you.

chalkie 12:58 15 Jun 09

Thanks will give it a try. Norton has no mention of vista, but suspect it it is not true lol. Will report back later.

mfletch 14:48 15 Jun 09

Also run MBAM on all accounts on the computer,

If it does not work download the free version of SAS and scan the computer in safe mode,

SAS/ Superantispyware click here

Reboot into SAFE MODE

1/Click Start and then click Turn Off Computer.
2/In the Turn Off Windows dialog box, click Restart, and then click OK.
3/As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, press F8 repeatedly.
4/Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
5/If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot system, choose the installation that you need to access using the arrow keys, and then press ENTER.
Note: If Windows launches before you can choose a safe mode, restart your computer and try again
PS/ Sometimes it maybe the F5 key

johndrew 16:44 15 Jun 09

This may help if other options fail click here. I think it`s free.

chalkie 20:38 15 Jun 09

Thanks everyone for the help. Sorry I have not replied sooner, only the day job got in the way! I left it to scan happily by itself.

MBAM appears to have corrected the problem. The hard part now is tracking the where the problem came from in the first place, the fruits have been sorted but where they came from still remains a mystery.

It was on my account not my daughter's so I must apologise to her, which makes it even harder to solve, oh well, maybe we will never find out!

All the software suggested seems very good, MBAM was used as it was the first to be mentioned.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac