problem removing Mcaffee virus scan and firewall

johnny f 07:10 28 Jul 06

I have a trial version of Mcaffee Virus Scan which has expired, now I get an annoying notice every time I turn on my computer telling me to renew my subscription. I do not want to keep Mcaffee as I have another, ( and I think better Virus scan programme). My problem is that, every time I delete Mcaffee, it removes my broadband connection and I cannot connect to the Internet unless I restore my computer, ( and, of course, re-install Mcaffee). Can ayone help? Johnny F.

VoG II 09:02 28 Jul 06

Try this. Download click here

Uninstall McAfee.

Run Winsockxpfix that you downloaded.

Nortius Maximus 12:37 28 Jul 06

My McAfee subscription expired a few weeks ago and I only finished getting rid of all it's componets yesterday. Try these steps.

1. Create a restore point
2. Add/remove McAfee in Safe mode (F8 at boot up)
Restart (probably not needed if you've already done it)
3. Seach all files & Folders (including hidden files) for McAfee and delete
4. Search registry for all McAfee keys, delete.
5. Check your firewall for all McAfee entries and remove
5. Start-Run type msconfig and hit enter to see you start-up settings, remove any that start with Mc (Mcagent, Mcschedule and especially an entry that will say "msci" and tries to start mcinfo.exe - this last one triggers McAfee to send you an email reminder).
6. Check your Active X compoents - I use Spybot (advanced mode, tools) to do this - there may be two McAfee entries, delete.

That should do it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…