problem reinstalling windows xp

Pinochio 21:33 20 Aug 03

I have recently installed Windows XP on a new patition. Unfortunately, I now realize I have not left enough room for expansion for programs etc. I therefore need to repartition the drive but my partition manager will not allow me to increase the size of the XP partiton without erazing it and completely reinstalling XP on a freshly created partition.

My question is: what are the problems, if any. involved in doing this?

I want to avoid falling foul of Micorsoft's product activation system.

Do I simply create the new partition and install XP to it as normal? Lets hope so!

I have not yet registered my copy of XP with Microsoft.

dfghjkl 22:08 20 Aug 03

i would not worry to much about falling foul of microsoft,you should be able to reformat\partition on the same pc without problem,at worst a phone call to microsoft after a promt will sort it

minter 22:30 20 Aug 03

Reinstalling XP is no problem at all.

After reinstallation all you have to do is reactivate the program over the net, or phone - the net is easiest.

No problem, done it quite a few times.

If I were you I would leave it for a day or two to make sure that everything was 100%.

Only problem would be if you have reactivated quite a few times lately, you will then be given a 50 digit code. Write it down follow the instructions and when asked enter the 50 digit code and bingo everythings OK.

minter 22:36 20 Aug 03

Sorry, missed this -

You do not have to register your copy of XP with Microsoft. There is no obligation whatsoever.

The only thing you have to do is activate it within 30 days of installation.

Bodi 22:42 20 Aug 03

So do you have to reactivate XP each time you reinstall it? Within 30 days of course.

Bodi

User-312386 22:44 20 Aug 03

yes after installation XP has to be activated before the 30 day time period

Pinochio 21:36 21 Aug 03

Thanks a lot everyone. It's nice to be reassured that I am not going to get lot of hassle over this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…