Problem with ReFormat and Reinstallation of Win 98

Newuser1445 16:30 13 Jun 04

I had a PC which was running 2 partitions (C & D)before a crash. Having unsuccessfully tried an overlay installation, I re formatted the C drive of the HDD using the Win 98 boot floppy FDISK and installed Windows 98. However this only boots into Safe Mode and I have tried running Msconfig and checking SFC without any luck so far.

Can anyone help please?

Totally-braindead 16:33 13 Jun 04

Did you actually format it. If you made any changes to the partitions from fdisk you need to use the command FORMAT C: before it will work.

woodchip 16:36 13 Jun 04

Why did you use FDISK as you only had to start with floppy and type FORMAT C:

PS if you used FDISK your other partition will have gone

Newuser1445 16:58 13 Jun 04

I used FDISK initially and then used the command FORMAT C: \s.

FDISK indiacated that both partitions were still OK
By checking with Partiton Magic Boot Disk, the second partition is still there but hidden I think by Safe Mode?

What is the best way to get back to a normal boot please?

woodchip 17:04 13 Jun 04

If you have a Hidden partition is this a Shop bought comp? as drivers etc may be on that partition

Newuser1445 17:14 13 Jun 04

The Partitions were created using PM 6.0 following purchase 3 years ago. All data is backed up so merging the 2 partitions is still an option if this may help

woodchip 17:19 13 Jun 04

You say you can get into Win98 in safe mode. If so Go into device manager and see what colours there are at the side of icons and which

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…