Problem with Realtek HD Audio on Vista

Darcorn 18:39 06 Jan 09

Hello

I've recently purchased a new computer fitted with onboard RealTek HD Audio soundcard

I have a 5.1 speaker system (Creative Gigaworks ProGamer G500).

Everything was ok until the installation of Service Pack 1 on Vista. After installing it the sound is completely gone from all windows apps except the Realtek HD Audio Manager speaker test.

The sound comes back only when I tick the option that creates a virtual surround sound effect in the RT Audio Manager but then only 2 speakers are playing

I am growing very ftustrated about this because the sound is stereo and not 5.1

I will be grateful for any tips on fixing this problem

Thank you

Woolwell 19:06 06 Jan 09

On my system with onboard RealTek I only get the option for virtual surround if 2.1 speaker system is selected. Have you got a drop down for 5.1?
Do you have Realtek Audio Manager in you system tray? If so right click on it and see if audio devices is available (if not you will have to access this through the control panel). On playback highlight speakers then click on configure and ensure that you have 5.1 selected and then test. You will also be able to test the windows sounds through the sounds tab.

Stuartli 22:29 06 Jan 09

Also worth installing the latest version of Realtek's HD drivers (Vista):

click here

XP etc:

click here

I;ve given these links as the Realtek website downloads are incredibly slow.

I have the standard six channel Realtek on-board sound chipset and the Realtek Sound Effects Manager provides the means to nominate 2.0, 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 channels.

Darcorn 10:35 07 Jan 09

Thanks for your suggestions guys. I have 5.1 selected in the RT manager and in the audio devices tab, speakers are on by default. Other devices are 2nd output and digital input

I've just checked the speaker config and ran the speaker test. It seems that when the speakers are set to 5.1 two of the speakers do not work in the test whereas when I put the 7.1 tab on then all of the speakers work

It's weird because I didn't mess with the speaker connections and before installing Vista SP1 all speakers were functioning normally as I have said

What's the problem here???

DippyGirl 10:44 07 Jan 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced