problem reading pdf files

Newuser4458 20:27 16 Jan 05

When I attempt to open pdf files from a website all I get is reams of gobbledegook. Occasionally one already on my hard disk will open OK.

VoG II 20:32 16 Jan 05

Uninstall Adobe Reader and install the latest version click here

freaky 20:58 16 Jan 05

Which version of Acrobat reader are you using?

I recently upgraded from Adobe 5 to the latest version Adobe 7. It worked OK on the files I tried.

I then went to a site I use often to view some PDF's and got an error message.

I uninstalled Adobe 7 and installed V6, went to the site again and all OK.

Hope that is some help?

Newuser4458 21:04 16 Jan 05

Tried that. All I'm getting is reams and reams of junk.
BUT first line includes the words "cannot be used in DOS" or something similar

VoG II 21:06 16 Jan 05

Is the message similar to

16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem
path to the program that you are trying to start or install
C:\Winnt\System32\config.nt The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

Newuser4458 19:16 18 Jan 05

I have removed acrobat reader 5 and then loaded it from a CD. Still all I get is gobbledegook from the web. I can read files which are on the PC! but cannot copy them off a webpage. Clicking on the webpage equally useless, it used to work OK I guess there is something set wrong somewhere.

Citrws 19:41 18 Jan 05

I recently experienced a similar problem and tried the usual solutions of upgrading from 5 to 6, then 6 to seven, but none improved the situation. In the end I deleted all the references to Adobe via the control panel and then installed version 7 from Adobe.Com.

Since then, fingers crossed, everything is working fine. It's worth a try.

acein1 19:50 18 Jan 05

try click here a great little pdf reader

acein1 19:53 18 Jan 05

click here
try again

Newuser4458 14:15 19 Jan 05

Still a waste of time, when I download this all I get is queer font exactly as with any pdf file

CHAIRLEG 14:22 19 Jan 05

Does this help.Open Adobe or Acrobat,click on edit>preferences and select Internet.Clear the checkbox beside Display pdf in browser and click ok.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…