problem reading Nero .nri files without Nero software

morters 17:02 PM 08 Mar 12

My Windows XP computer died last week. Luckily, my friendly computer repairman saved the hard drive and put it into a ‘box’ from which I can retrieve all my files and documents. Amongst these are vital .nri files which are a record of what’s contained on backup DVDs, movies, music and other files that I had burned to DVD. Unfortunately, my old computer had Nero burning software whereas my new, Dell Windows 7 has Roxio burning software. Which means I can no longer read these .nri files. I found some free software on the net (FreeFileViewer) but when I use it to read the files all I can see is what looks like computer language, not very helpful. Having already spent a small fortune getting new computer up and running, I’m loathe to spend more money on new Nero software. Can anyone suggest how I can access these files? Is there any way to export the contents of these files to, say, Word? If so, I could download free Nero trial software and get it sorted out before the trial expires.

morters 17:13 PM 08 Mar 12

As a supplementary question, is there any way that I can copy just the titles ie, not, say, the actual musical content) of any files on the actual DVDs?

Sea Urchin 23:42 PM 08 Mar 12

You could download the freeware version of Nero Kwik Media

file hippo

morters 05:50 AM 09 Mar 12

Good morning Sea Urchin and Lazarus the 2nd - you both posted way past my bedtime! Thank you both for very promising reswponses. When I've rebooted my brain with sufficient coffee I'll try them out.

morters 15:15 PM 09 Mar 12

Sorry for delay replying, all sorts of issues to be resolved re computer death.

Sea Urchin, I think I've installed Nero Kwik Media correctly (the .nri file had an empty square icon prior to installation, now it's got what looks like a proper icon). However, I've failed to open the sample file I've transferred to new computer. This is probably down to tiredness, general technophobia and general confusion. I would not be surprised if when I look at it again tomorrow I'll find a way to open it (them).

David/Lazarus the Second: brilliant, thank you so much. Even if I can't persuade Nero Kwik Media to open the file, your solution will adequately suffice; in fact, being able to export/transfer to a .txt document is something I wish I'd had years ago!

Thank you both enormously for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 4 UK release date, price and specs: Thinner, lighter, faster with new Type Cover and Pen

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Territory delivers realistic NASA screens for The Martian - as they will be in 20 years time

21 brilliant tips for Mac OS X El Capitan: The best new Mac features in OS X 10.11