Problem reading DVD's

alcudia 09:33 17 Nov 03

I could have had this problem for a while because I hardly ever use the drive, but my dvd-rom drive has a big problem reading dvd's. It eventually managed to read one after about 2 mins, but I had to give up with another disc.

I noticed it because I had just installed a new hard drive and was replacing all my software.

The drive has no problems with cd's. In fact most of my programs (including XP) were installed with it.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this, or would it be simpler to just replace it.

Thanks in advance.

MichelleC 10:04 17 Nov 03

The laser may have gone, but a compressed air blast may shift something, or maybe driver needs updating.

alcudia 10:09 17 Nov 03

Thanks for your response, but if the laser had gone it wouldn't read cd's, as it does, perfectly.

I wondered about cleaning. Can those cleaning discs be used on these drives?

Stuartli 10:13 17 Nov 03

The standard Windows driver is all that is required for CD/DVD-ROM and rewriter drives.

Make sure that you have the latest driver for your graphics card.

A friend couldn't view DVDs (he has a Creative 3dFX Banshee card), only getting an error message that they could not be played with the TV out port enabled. It was not an unknown problem.

The particular Banshee card doesn't have a TV out facility, but installing the final driver for this particular card cured the problem immediately.

alcudia 10:17 17 Nov 03

I wonder.

This PC still has the XP driver for the nVIDIA gforce card. I have just downloaded the proper driver from the nvidia site, and intend to install it tonight. Never connected the two though.

Thanks very much. I'll see what happens.

Stuartli 10:17 17 Nov 03

Don't use cleaning disks unless as a very last resort, particularly the "wet" versions.

Modern drives are fully enclosed and a drive tray is normally only open for a very short time.

I've never had to use one with the various drives I've owned over many years.

If the drive reads CDs but not DVDs, it may be a dual laser type and the DVD laser just might have given up the ghost. But it's most unlikely; which software do you use, for instance PowerDVD?

alcudia 10:27 17 Nov 03

There is no particular DVD software installed. This was lost when my hard drive failed three weeks ago, and the supplied recovery disc was not then recognised after fitting a new drive.

Had to go by way of Win98 and then XP Pro.

I am not wanting to play a DVD. I just want to opned data discs to install a couple of programs.

The full machine spec is click here Do I still need software to do this? I didn't think it was necessary.

alcudia 08:29 18 Nov 03

Seems to working much better now. Still takes about 15secs to read a disc, but once done all is well. I will leave it for a while and see how it behaves.

Thanks for your help.

Stuartli 08:51 18 Nov 03

Just a couple of final points.

Have you enabled DMA for your drives?

Secondly, if you use Nero burning software it's important that the rewriter is set as Master via the jumpers and the CD/DVD-ROM drive as Slave.

You should also disable Auto Insert Notification for the DVD-ROM drive as Nero controls its operation during burning.

You can always play audio CDs manually or, in the case of XP, by clicking OK when the Use To play panel menu comes up.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…