Problem with reading CDs after XP upgrade

exdragon 23:17 10 Aug 04

Hello - I dutifully spent hours backing up my data using Easy CD Creator 5 Platinum prior to having a clean install of XP Home edition done.I left the CDs open as I assumed I'd be able to read them again. I copied the data by using the 'Send to' the DVD drive option and it's always worked before.

However - I can't read them. When I look at them in Windows Explorer, there's nothing there. Is all lost? Should I have closed them? If I download the update for Easy CD, will I be able to close them then? Is life worth living?? I've tried importing data into Quicken, tried opening images in Photoshop but to no avail.

Can anyone help, please? I'll check tomorrow as I'm off to bed now

rickf 23:38 10 Aug 04

I thought ECDC 5 Platinum does not work with XP until you have downloaded the patche/s from the Roxio site. I seem to remember there were 2 patches to install.

exdragon 23:47 10 Aug 04

Just got out of bed to say that I formatted the CDRs as DirectCD, then used the Send to option via a right click in Explorer.

Rickf - I'll have a look at the Roxio site again tomorrow, the download was 16mb or so.

I also had a look at a CDR I know I'd closed and all my stuff is there (a couple of months out of date, but there you go!) The latest data, instead of being in my folders, looks like hundreds of unrecognisable files

hugh-265156 23:58 10 Aug 04

not sure sorry. does the drive work ok with purchased media? if so:

this may help you recover data from damaged media though click here

if not. drive may be faulty. try uninstalling from device manager and restart windows. check ide cable. if that doesnt work replace drive.

THE TERMINATOR 00:00 11 Aug 04

Try running ECDC in compatability mode, right click the shortcut and choose properties from the menu, click on the compatability tab and enable RUN this program in compatability mode for the OS that you upgraded from....TT

exdragon 06:35 11 Aug 04

Sorry Terminator - what's compatability mode?

exdragon 14:17 11 Aug 04

...with downloading the upgrade

THE TERMINATOR 19:24 11 Aug 04

Compatability Mode. For a program to work, it has got to be compatable with the Operating System it is running under. Some older programs will not run under XP because of the code they are written, eg old DOS programs. Windows XP can compensate for this by running software in Compatability Mode for the OS in which the program ran OK, like Windows95 or 98....TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…