Problem re importing OE Mail Rules

Nosmas 12:54 25 Jun 05

I have recently upgraded my system by fitting a brand new MBO (Matsonic MS8147C) and new HDD (Western Didgital 80GB) and have installed XP Home (and SP2). My old system was W98 with IE v6.0 and OE v6.0 from which I exported my mail files, address book and mail accounts to a backup folder, and also backed up my blocked senders list and Mail Rules.

On the new system I have successfully imported the mail files address book and mail accounts and restored the blocked senders list. However
although I followed the instructions in this article click here;en-gb;276511 I do not seem to have restored the Mail Rules, since when I click on Tools > Message Rules > Mail no rules are present, only the window to start creating rules.

Any suggestions please as to where I may have gone wrong and how to correct the situaton?

Nosmas 12:59 25 Jun 05

Sorry that link hasn't worked - try again

http://;en-gb;276511 but omit the space after the //

Hope that will show the full URL

VoG II 13:02 25 Jun 05

Here's your link click here

I can only suggest that you go into the registry and check that the keys have been written.

Nosmas 23:59 25 Jun 05

Sorry for the delay in returning but have been out all day. VoG thanks for correcting the link to Microsoft. I had Tinyurl on my old system, but haven't yet got round to setting it up on my upgraded system.

I have a suspicion that I may somehow have created a second identity when using OE. What I have found is a bit complicated to explain, but I hope readers will be able to understand what I am trying to describe. When going into File > Identities > Manage Identities I find that two identities are shown but BOTH are named Main Identity. Also in each of the two dropdowns lower down the window there are two titles named Main Identity. Going into Regedit HKEY_CURRENT_USER > Identities shows in the right-hand panel Default User ID, Last User ID and Start As all with the same "identity" between curly brackets - beginning {3775E.....}. When the '+' at the side of the Identities folder is clicked, the sub-folder immediately below it has a completely different "identity"- beginning {148CE...}, but below that is another sub-folder with the exact same "identity" as shown against the above mentioned three lines in the right-hand panel - i.e. beginning {3775E...}.

Clicking on the +'s to open up the tree from the first ('148CE') sub-folder I can work my way down to \Outlook Express\5.0\Rules\Mail and in the sub-folders below I can see the entries relating to the Mail Rules that I imported, and I can also see the Blocked Senders details. If I open up the tree from the '3775E' folder the Blocked sender details are again visible but none of the Rules is present. It therefore seems to me that if I can access OE as the user with the "identity" beginning '148CE' I should be able to see the rules I have imported, but how do I do this as it seems that when I launch OE I am assigned the "identity" beginning '3775E'? Would any harm be done if I go through the importing procedure again but this time amend the {identity} field in the backup file of Rules to that beginning '148CE' before writing it into the Registry? Or should I try to amend one of the Main Identity names in Manage Identities to (say) my own name and then 'switch' to that identity? I would be grateful for any suggestions as I am in unfamiliar territory with this problem.

Nosmas 08:51 26 Jun 05

Morning folks! Any ideas please?

Nosmas 13:44 26 Jun 05

I'm a bit wary of dabbling with Registry entries so would really appreciate some suggestions for this one please! Got to go out now, back this evening - and hopefully will see some responses!

Nosmas 18:11 26 Jun 05

Anyone on the evening shift can help please?

Nosmas 14:14 27 Jun 05

Surely there is someone out there with better knowledge and experience of the Registry who can offer me some suggestions. Pleeeeeeeeeease!

Nosmas 19:15 27 Jun 05

Hi there evening shift! Very disappointed with lack of responses - 7 replies and 6 of these are from ME! Can someone PLEASE give me some guidance?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Studio PC release date, pricing, design, features and spec: Microsoft showcases…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

Apple Q4 2016 financial results | Apple earnings report: iPhone, iPad and Mac sales down, profits d6…