Problem with RAID controller!!!

SimpleStevie 14:46 07 Sep 03

This description might be a bit long but please bear with me.

I recently bought a new PC with no OS pre installed, it came with Win XP Home separatly. I used FDISK on the hard drive and then formatted as usual prior to installing. The problems came when I noticed I needed to install a third party RAID controller, I have no idea what this means, I think its to do with the hard drive. It told me to press F6 during setup when prompted to install the drivers, I pressed F6 when told to but nothing happened, it seemed like it was not registering me pressing F6. Installation continued and appeared to go OK, then I got into windows, went into explorer and noticed I had drives D,E, and F as removable and it had loaded windows onto the I drive. I knew this wasnt right so i tried to format C:, yet in DOS it said there was no such drive as C:. I had a boot floppy from Powerquest boot magic 8 which i loaded up, and I found that my hard drive was there with no name, therefore I couldn't access it, and there was no way to rename it to C:. Is there any software which enables me to rename this unamed drive to C? And how do I install the RAID drivers if when pressing F6 nothing happens?

Apologies for this being really long but I'm not that technically gifted with computers and I was really excited when I got it, only to find at present I'm unable to do anything.

Thanks in advance.

Rayuk 14:52 07 Sep 03

Are you using a usb keyboard??
Although if you have used fdisk already that isnt the issue.

What are your system specs.Motherboard hard drives etc,when you say you noticed you needed to instal raid drivers is it the fact the instal asked you for the drivers if so that isnt the problem.

If you are using raid you would have to set up the array before you start installing the os,and then you would load the raid drivers

SimpleStevie 15:22 07 Sep 03

Im using a standard keyboard that connects to the PC via the keyboard slot, so it wouldnt need any extra drivers.

I noticed i needed to install them because I read the instruction manual first, and it said press F6 while prior to installing Windows.
I'm not sure of the specs, only that it has AMD Athlon XP 2800+, 512mb 333mhz ddr ram, 120gb 7200rpm hard drive, and an onboard IDE RAID controller.

I have built PC's before but have never come into contact with RAID controllers and have no idea of the benefit of them, and I also have no idea how to set up an array, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Rayuk 15:31 07 Sep 03

I think you will find if you look inside your case that the hard drive is on the normal ide controller.
Onboard raid you have to plug them into different socket.Also raid is only of benefit with 2 or more hard drives attached.

Rayuk 15:33 07 Sep 03

I would in this instance use fdisk delete all partitions then repartition and start again make sure when it is ready to instal that it is going on C

SimpleStevie 15:37 07 Sep 03

So what should I do now? Try and find where to plug in the hard drive into the correct socket on the mboard? Or should I try and set up this array that you talked about? The technical support for the PC manufacturer is only open 9-5 mon to fri, when I'm at work. Could it be possible that when building the machine they attatched the hard drive to the wrong place on the mboard?

Rayuk 15:56 07 Sep 03

If you start again,the instal will say"if you have a raid controller press F6"just ignore it.

Take the side off your pc and take a look both the ide cables should be plugged in next to each other,if this is the case you are ok,as the raid socket should be in a different part of your board.

Do you know what motherboard you have??

No use setting up 1 hard drive as raid there is no benefit.

Chegs ® 16:08 07 Sep 03

RAID controller will be on the mobo drivers disc,I had to put my SATA drivers onto a floppy,press F6 during install,and it carried on installing XP,then it stops and asks for location of SATA driver(yours will ask for RAID controller)

mrdsgs 18:05 07 Sep 03

go into bios and set the raid controller to "base" or "non-raid" then they it function as IDE 2 and IDE 3. You will probably still need to install drivers. You can then have up to 8 ide devices rather than 4.

You can avoid the issue if you ensure that your hard drive ide cable is pluugged into the motherboard socket labelled "IDE 0"

RAID is irrelevant to you with only 1 HD.

SimpleStevie 20:26 07 Sep 03

My motherboard is an Elitegroup L7VTA if thats any help. It also came with a separate floppy with IDE Raid drivers on it, its a Promise FastTrak 100-Lite RAID Controller.

I've had a look inside the case and there is no IDE 0, only 1, 2, 3, and 4.

The hard drive connects to 1, DVD drive and CDRW to 2, and the floppy to a separate one which according to the mauual is called FDD1.

I am a bit dubious about altering the BIOS settings as I havent done this before and don't want to ruin my brand new computer.

Rayuk 20:45 07 Sep 03

Your raid controllers are sockets 3 & 4 next to the floppy drive.
As your hard drive and optical drives are on 1 & 2 raid does not come into it.

As I said earlier fdisk delete all partitions then either boot straight from the WinXP cdrom and partion during the instalation and disregard any reference to F6 or use fdisk.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…