Problem with powering up PC

meta_volante 11:29 10 May 06

Hi there, please be gentle with me as this is my 1st post and I am a bit of a PC novice. I have a problem that goes like this: when I power up my PC the power light is amber instead of green,the hard drive spins while the red read light is on and then basically nothing, the hard drive light goes off and the machine hangs and the monitor is blank, any ideas what the cause / remedy is?

regards

meta

Belatucadrus 11:47 10 May 06

It could be a lot of things, from a faulty graphics card to a safety cut out because of a dead fan. The first thing to do is to make absolutely sure all the cables are firmly connected. Then if that doesn't help, open the case and check that all the fans, particularly the big one on the CPU are spinning. If that still doesn't help, post back and there'll be loads more possible solutions posted.

meta_volante 13:12 10 May 06

Belatucadrus thanks for replying, I've had the side off and the fan on the cpu is working ok, I hoped it would be as I changed the m/board recently,the fan on the p/supply is also working. Any other things I can try?

Totally-braindead 13:58 10 May 06

Does the computer case have a small speaker mounted in it and if so is it connected and if so are there any beeps when you start up?

meta_volante 14:06 10 May 06

Hi totally braindead, there is a small speaker inside the case, it makes no sound at all when powering on, it used to when I first fitted the m/board. Is that of any help?

Belatucadrus 16:55 10 May 06

A dead PC with no post beeps doesn't sound good I'm afraid, it could be the Power Supply, MOBO or CPU. I suspect it's now a case of stripping the PC down to bare essentials, ie one RAM module and all extra PCI cards etc removed. Seeing if you can get it to boot and then laboriously adding the other componants one at a time until you pin down the problem.

meta_volante 10:42 12 May 06

So i've got the case open and one by one I'm booting up with - without devices attached. When I have the cd-rom powered up and the hard drive un powered I get one loud beep on boot up, is that of any help to any of you?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:26 12 May 06

One beep is good, usually means everthing is ok.

Do you see anything on the screen? it should say something like disk error or No operating system found.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…