Problem playing M3u files

FatboySlim71 10:46 31 Dec 04

I have some m3u files which are short video clips i have saved them on my pc using the AOL media player.The problem I have is that for them to play I need to be online as the AOL media player thats built into AOL will play them but Windows Media player 10 wont.I was wondering if anyone knows of a way of playing these m3u files without having to go online and use the AOL Media player,if possible I would like to put thes m3u files onto a VCD or DVD if there is a way.

pj123 10:55 31 Dec 04

JetAudio (free download) from click here is listed as being able to play M3U files.

I have been using this multi format player for quite some time. Although I don't have any M3U files it has never failed me on anything else I have thrown at it. You may have to go into preferences and set it up though. Do that by going in to Preferences, File Type Association and in the right window click on Check All, Update and then OK. It should now play anything.

FatboySlim71 11:27 31 Dec 04

I have downloaded Jetaudio but when I double click on the m3u file the jetaudio program opens and below rip cd,conversion etc,there is a web address of the place the m3u file came from and it wont play unless im online.

pj123 12:19 31 Dec 04

FatboySlim71, sorry about that. How big is this file? Could you email it to me so that I can try on my PC? Unless, of course, it is personal/sensitive.

FatboySlim71 12:29 31 Dec 04

Could you tell me your email address and ill send you the file in the email,its 102 bytes.

Amyfa 12:50 31 Dec 04

I dont think you have the file on your computer you only have the m3u file and that in winamp (what I use) is just a play list. I think that's why you need to be online to play them.

pj123 13:08 31 Dec 04

I think Amyfa is right. If the file is only 102 bytes that isn't long enough to be the video clip.

Alternatively, if you can point me in the direction on AOL where you got this clip from I can try that. To contact me via email just click on the Yellow envelope next to my username.

Simsy 13:35 31 Dec 04

are short text playlists.

They do not contain audio or video, but rather are just a list of "tracks" to play, and where to find them.

That is why they are small.

It is also, probably, why they are only working while you are on the net; they are probably giving addresses on the 'net for the tracks you want to play.

Open one of the m3u files in notepad and you will see what I mean.

Regards,

Simsy

Simsy 13:37 31 Dec 04

that I've just repeated what Amyfa had said.

Apologies!

Regards,

Simsy

FatboySlim71 14:32 31 Dec 04

Your right simsy I opened innotepad and there was a web site listed in the text. Thanks everyone for the help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…