Problem playing film clips

daveac41 12:28 PM 14 May 12

When I wish to run any film clips , (all types), on my PC, (WXP) I get the following message. Googling the problem just gives a wealth of strange answers. Can anyone help, please?

"the instruction at "0x00000000" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

lotvic 13:01 PM 14 May 12

Has this problem just started? was it ok before? Have you made any changes recently, software/hardware?

What Player are you using? Windows Media Player, VLC or what?

daveac41 15:33 PM 14 May 12

Hi, Lotvic, It's been doing this for about two weeks, WMP doesn't seem to like anything, VLC does it quite a lot, so does KM Player. It's also a problem within Picasa. Haven't installed anything new lately - as I recall......

rdave13 15:56 PM 14 May 12

I'm not on XP at the mo but check that DEP is only selected to Windows features and not others. Otherwise try system restore to before the problem. Might be something you installed as Lotvic suggested.

lotvic 15:57 PM 14 May 12

Could it be since the last lot of XP updates?

Yes there are some strange results in google. Have a look in Device Manager and see if there are any warning triangles, it might be a driver.

I'll keep searching, if they won't even play in VLC something's gone wrong.

Have you tried updating Adobe Flash, WMediaPlayer and VLC?

You could always try sfc /scannow to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files (system file checker) to troubleshoot missing or corrupted system files, you might need your xp CD if it asks for it.

Start, Run, sfc /scannow (note the space after c and before /)

daveac41 22:44 PM 14 May 12

Thanks rdave13 & lotvic. System restore seemed to do the trick. Bit surprised at that but thanks anyway!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 review: Hands-on with the new generation of Surface

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Crowdfunding for world’s first 3D camera-computer found in 30 hours

2015 iMac release date rumours, specs, price & features: new 21in 4K Retina iMacs coming next week