problem playing DVD with Media Player

Tropezon 18:46 19 Jul 07

I have just fitted a new Hard drive on a secondary PC, and loaded XP from a disc supplied with my new laptop. There was also a DVD supplied for repair and reinstalling drivers.
Although the disc is recognised on "My Computer", there is no response when I click on Auto Run and when I load a commercial DVD I am told that it cannot be played because a compatible decoder is not installed; have just downloaded Media Player 11 which said it included the necessary codec which I thought meant "code/decode" but am getting nowhere.
Would be pleased for some help on this, thanks!

skidzy 18:56 19 Jul 07

click here

Or try VLC,this plays almost anything click here

Tropezon 19:36 19 Jul 07

skidzy,

Thanks for the info. I've put them both on a USB stick and will let you know the result but am confident that the problem will go away so have ticked "resolved"
much obliged.

Tropezon 18:59 20 Jul 07

Skidzy, I loaded the K-Lite Codec pack and all now works perfectly, thanks again!
Tropezon

sparkyuk 20:22 20 Jul 07

no computer can play dvd movies with out some kind of software other then windows media player on board i use windvd but there are loads out there, didnt you get one free with your hard drive ?

Tropezon 20:09 21 Jul 07

Sparkyuk
Thanks for the response. No, I didn't get a free player with the hard drive and the problem was that even after downloading Win M P, and the codec I was still unable to play DVD.
Since downloading the 2 from skidzy's post, everything works just fine thank you!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…