Problem with PCMIA 4 port USB2 Cardbus

Roadgiant 20:47 14 Dec 06

I have just purchased a PCMIA 4 Port USB 2.0 Cardbus Card for use in my sons Sony VAIO laptop, due to the fact that the laptop only has USB 1.
On plugging the card into a slot on the laptop, it is detected by the laptop and in device manager shows up as a VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller.

The problem is that when I plug a USB device into one of the USB sockets on the new hub nothing happens, and the USB device is not detected. I have tried several different devices having first and after confirmed that they are working by plugging them into the existing USB 1 sockets on the laptop.

It’s almost as if the laptop is detecting the PCMIA card with no problem saying that it is working, but the 4 sockets are not connected inside the hub.

The laptop is a Sony Vaio P4 2.4ghtz with Win Xp PRO installed; I am assuming I don’t need to install any other driver as the card is detected.
Thanks in advance RG.

woodchip 21:30 14 Dec 06

Try uninstall USB from Device Manager. All Of them, Them restart you comp to reset the USB. Also do you have SP2 installed? thinking this is a XP computer

Roadgiant 22:16 14 Dec 06

Thanks for the prompt reply, unfortunately still exactly the same problem after trying the above solution.
The Laptop has XPPro installed with SP2

Pamy 22:44 14 Dec 06

What devise are you plugging in to the USB card,try something very low powered like a flash mem

Roadgiant 23:53 14 Dec 06

Thanks for the reply.Up to now I have tried wireless dongle, memory stick and a joypad, all off which work perfectly in the USB1 sockets, but do not work at all when plugged into the hub.
RG

Technotiger 23:56 14 Dec 06

Hi, I would suggest that your purchased item is definately faulty, and would advise returning it for a replacement.

Merry Christmas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…