Problem with PCMCIA USB 2.0 Card

Big Elf 09:44 25 Feb 04

I have a 4 port USB 2.0 PCMCIA Cardbus Adapter which I'm trying to get working with my 2 year old Sony Vaio FX405 laptop running Windows XP Home with SP1 installed. When I plug it in it's detected and shows up in Device Manager as working properly. However any devices I plug in don't work e.g. hard drive, optical mouse or card reader. I've also installed the drivers that came with it even though they shouldn't be required and it still doesn't work.

Has anyone got an idea how to get this working?

JerryJay 10:07 25 Feb 04

This is just a guess. Maybe the card does not allow external device to draw power from it. Does your external harddisk has its only power supplier? Maybe you can try a device which has its own power because mouse and card reader all need to draw power for usb port.

JerryJay 10:14 25 Feb 04

There is one card in ebuyer for £12, a lot of people used it and commented on it. There are some people experience the same thing as you. you may go there to have a look click here

Big Elf 10:15 25 Feb 04

The hard drive has it's own power supply but I'm coming to the same conclusion as you. The USB 2.0 card has a power adapter but this need to be plugged into a PS/2 port which the laptop doesn't have. I'll try a PS/2 USB adapter and plug it into a USB 1.1 port and see if that works.

I did think that Cardbus slots provided power though as I have a PCMCIA hard drive that works when plugged in. Maybe there's not enough power for USB devices.

Big Elf 10:21 25 Feb 04

Thanks for the link and it proved useful. I connected the power cable to a USB PS/2 adapter and it now works a treat.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…