Problem on PC startup

Hetti 16:39 15 Dec 09

On occasion my PC says something like...........
Boot failure please insert disk, I closed down PC and tried to startup again and it booted as normal.
This has happened about four time in the last three days.

I have Win XP and IE 8.

retep888 16:53 15 Dec 09

Start button> Run >cmd >chkdsk see if it helps, you may have to run chkdsk /f afterwards.

howard64 16:55 15 Dec 09

it could be the psu being slow to put the full voltage out. This is probably one of those faults that must get much worse in order to identify and then correct it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:02 15 Dec 09

Before you do anything else make sure you have backed up all your data.

Look for your hard drive manufacturers web site and download their diagnostic software for the drive.

As drives get older, they can take longer to get up to speed and become ready (available). This can then exceed the time it takes for the booting to look for the drive - so it doesn't find it.
The solution is often to make the initial part of the boot take longer, by disabling "Quick power on self test and/or making the system look for the floppy drive first by enabling "floppy seek".
Some BIOS even have a facility to put in a delay before the hard disk is checked.

Hetti 17:12 15 Dec 09

Thanks guys

I will do as you suggest and get back here later.

Thanks

Hetti 21:18 15 Dec 09

Hi guys

I did as you suggested, chkdsk and disabled quick power on self test, and at the moment its fine.

Did not get diagonostic software from Maxtor yet, if this does not help I will try that.

Thans

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…