Problem with PC automatically shutting down

Nick2002 09:48 31 Mar 03

Hi, I have a problem. When I turn on my PC, it starts up and you and you can load up Windows fine, but after a about a minute the PC automatically resets and restarts. I did a full virus scan about a week ago using Norton SystemWorks AntiVirus 2003 and no viruses were found on my system. I have not changed any of the BIOS settings.

The PC never resets before Windows itself has loaded, it is always once the user has logged on, alhthough the time difference between Windows loading and the system resetting is anything between half a minute and about three minutes. On average it is about a minute.

I am using WinXP Home with Norton SystemWorks 2003. I have an MSI KT4 Ultra mobo.

Can anyone help? Have I got virus which the system hasn't detected, or is it a problem with the actual power cable?

Thanks

MAJ 10:01 31 Mar 03

Will it start and stay started in Safe Mode, Nick2002?

Paranoid Android 13:13 31 Mar 03

When it restarts does it give any error messages or beeps ?

Does it give any messages when restarting ?

What happens if you leave it for 1/2 hour without logging on ?

Marvin

Nick2002 18:37 31 Mar 03

It's all OK now, thanks.

When I restarted it listed several options, including Safe Mode. I selected "Go back to last successful boot" which loaded up fine. However, when I restarted from that it started to load Windows and then went on a black screen. I then hit reset and performed a system restore back to yesterday using Roxio GoBack, which loads before Windows. I could not use XP's own restore as this is when the system resets. Once the system had been restored it restarted, XP started to load up but then hit the black screen again. So I hit reset again and selected "Last successful boot". XP loaded up fine from here with the system back to the restored point. I then restarted the system normally and it logged on fine. The black screen has gone.

Thanks anyway for your suggestions. I appreciate your help.

Nick2002 16:24 01 Apr 03

Just out of interest, does anyone know what caused this problem?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…