Problem with OS

KJ823 16:27 29 Oct 06

Hi

A friend of mine has been given a PC that had Windows XP as the OS. The original owner has wiped it clean to get rid of my personal stuff but seems to have taken too much off as it now says there is a problem with the OS [missing/damaged files]. The only CD he has given her with the PC is a licensed copy of Windows 98 that he used before updating to XP.

I thought that I could maybe forget XP and reinstall 98 for her but when I switch it on it goes straight to XP asking for the disc to repair the missing file, even if I have the 98 disc in when I switch on. I don’t know how to get it to recognise the CD in the tray.

Please can anyone help or let me know if what I am hoping to do is not possible.

Thanks
KJ

are you booting from the 98 disc or from the hd you may need to change the boot sequence in the bios to boot from 98 disc then load 98

Strawballs 16:38 29 Oct 06

If you have no way of repairing the XP installation then you will need to download a win98 startup disc and put it on a floppy and do an fdisk and format back to fat32 before you can put win98 back on uit.

KJ823 16:39 29 Oct 06

It seems to be booting for the hd. I did go into the setup but I couldn't find what I needed to change to get it to boot from the CD

KJ823 16:40 29 Oct 06

Thanks Strawballs but I am not clever enough to understand what you mean!

Totally-braindead 16:43 29 Oct 06

If you do not have a Windows XP disk then your only option is to put win 98 on it, you will not be able to repair it without a windows XP disk.
The Windows 98 CDROM is not a bootable disk you will as has been mentioned have to download a windows 98 startup floppy and then boot from that.

KJ823 16:44 29 Oct 06

Thank you but where would I download a W98 startup disc from?

try here click here for the boot disc. to boot from a disc you need to change the boot sequence in your bios it should say "boot sequence" or similar chane it to D where D is the cd or dvd drive

KJ823 16:52 29 Oct 06

This is brilliant.
Many thanks to you all
KJ

Totally-braindead 16:53 29 Oct 06

Have a read of this click here it should answer all your questions as well as providing a link to downloading a boot disk and answering the point Strawballs made about how to change the drive format.
The link explains it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac