Problem with opening Mocrosoft Excel 2003

bjantbear 11:09 13 Aug 07

When I open Office Excell 2003 Proffessional edition I get a dialog box that says a file with a .dot extension will not open. I click OK and then another one appears and the same thing happens. This keeps on until I have dozens of files that have tabs at the bottom of the page.

I am unable to open anything at all and I cannot get into the menu items.

The only way out of it is to use task manager and close the whole programme.

Does anyone have any idea how I can sort out this problem.

Regards

bjantbear 11:12 13 Aug 07

Sorry, forgot to mention that I have tried to repair Excell and also reinstalled it.

VoG II 11:14 13 Aug 07

It sounds like you have (inadvertently?) set the startup or alternate startup location to a folder containing Word templates.

Start Excel in Safe Mode click here then go to Tools > Options > General tab and check the startup locations (you can set these to blank).

bjantbear 13:43 13 Aug 07

Thanks VOG

I have tried that and the setting is blabk but I still have the same problem.

Excell starts alright in Safe Mode and then I can use it but that is no use to anyone else who wants to use it and does not know what I have to do.

Is there anymore help.

MS support does not seem to be able to help.

Regards

VoG II 13:58 13 Aug 07

The only thing that I can think of is to do a search for *.dot (enabling search for hidden files and folders). Then move them all to a different folder (first making a note of where they were originally) and try running Excel.

skeletal 14:59 13 Aug 07

The other thing that may be happening is that you have set up a macro/user template that auto starts when you run Excel. As part of this auto start, you may have something cross referencing a Word template (.dot). If that is no longer where it should be, the macro will fail.

This would be hard to do accidentally, but have you recently tried a new addin as shareware etc? I think that some such addins may not necessarily get deleted/updated, on a simple repair/reinstall of Excel...not 100% sure for Excel (but true of Word) so this may be worth a thought.

Skeletal

bjantbear 17:07 13 Aug 07

Thanks both of you for your help.

VOG, You were right but I had not gone far enough in the Excel programme to close down all the files that were opening.

My daughter turned up unexpectedly this afternoon and she has sorted it out.

Regards

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017