Problem Opening Excel Files

steviegee 08:01 14 Feb 11

I have upgraded one of my PCs from Office 2003 to 2007 but when I try opening a spreadsheet the file doesn't open I just get the blue background. I have noticed to get the spreadsheet up I have to select the sign at the top left, then open where a box appears then cancel!!? Any ideas? (Word docs open ok)

VoG II 08:04 14 Feb 11

Click the Office button (top left), click Excel Options, click Advanced. Make sure that Ignore Other Applications... is not ticked.

steviegee 08:20 14 Feb 11

No its not ticked...

skeletal 09:53 14 Feb 11

Do you, by any chance, have Adobe WRITER installed (i.e. NOT READER which many people have)? It took me a year to realise this was causing all sorts of strange problems with Office 2007 (particularly Excel where spreadsheets would not open on double clicking, and took ages to open from within Excel). My troublesome version was V6; I expect new versions are OK, but I don’t know for sure.

If you do, it is a pig to extract its tentacles from Office (uninstalling is not good enough).

Also, on a similar vein, do you have any other “add-ons” that supposedly fire up when you start Excel?

Skeletal

steviegee 08:23 15 Feb 11

Seems to have corrected itself!?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…