problem with onetel

palinka 19:32 13 Nov 05

My sister is on a PAYG with Onetel (phone line is cable with telewest). 2 or 3 weeks ago she received info from onetel that a change of dial-up number was needed. When she changed she couldn't connect at all. I phoned their helpline, was asked was it a BT line, when I said no they gave me a different number for the dial-up - the original number!!
Now she's had another "you must change your number" email. She changed and that number is constantly engaged.
Anyone else had this experience?
Any suggestions for different ISP for a cable/telewest phoneline?

the real Ali G 20:35 13 Nov 05

I had a similar problem some while back with onetel, although I was on a BT connection. I just carried on using the original number and it still worked ok. If this doesn't work I guess you have to phone Onetel again.

palinka 21:13 13 Nov 05

thanks. Useful to know that yours was Ok using the old number. I'll tell her.

palinka 16:39 20 Nov 05

To tidy up and complete this thread: I emailed her problem to Onetel's helpline and received the standard "thanks, we'll get back to you" sort of response. Still waiting for their solution/advice A WEEK LATER.
Meanwhile she has installed Tiscali and notified all her friends of her change of address.
The problem seems to be that her connection is through Telewest's cable. Because even with Tiscali she had to get a different number for the dial-up; it seems they assume everyone has a BT phoneline.
That may turn out to be what Onetel will say, but any reponse from them will be too late now.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…