problem with onboard sound.

matthew-293741 19:50 21 Feb 04

hi all

my puta recently died...so i formatted disc, and re-installed XP home. Everything went well....got internet back up and running...got my GFX running no problem...trouble i s i have no sound any more....i have been in BIOS and the diasble AC97 sound is off, so all is correct there...i have noticed that my little speaker in the bottom right of my taskbar is missing. When i go thru accesories to open up volume control is prattles on about no hardware...so i got to add new hardware...it gives me the yellow question mark against my sound features..i click...it searches...it cant find..it connects to net...it still has no joy...any help would be blooming marvellous.

P4 XPhome MOBO is MSI 645 using a Sis 645dx chipest (have been to SIS site....bit confused as to what driver i may need...)

Diodorus Siculus 19:53 21 Feb 04

What sound card are you using? If on board sound, then go into BIOS and enable AC97.

If a different soundcard, then get the latest drivers from the net for your card.

matthew-293741 19:55 21 Feb 04

i have been into bios...it has two options.....auto ...or disable...i have left it as auto!!

Diodorus Siculus 19:59 21 Feb 04

Try Aida32 from click here and it will id your mobo and sound chip; then you can get the relevant driver.

pipedream 20:03 21 Feb 04

Do you have the CD that should have come with your mobo in the first place? If you do, run this as this should also have the driver. If not, you need to go to the MSI site, choose your mobo type & the download & install the audio driver.

Stuartli 09:11 22 Feb 04

Are you sure that the mobo and onboard chipset have the same number i.e. 645?

Stuartli 09:25 22 Feb 04

The MSI website doesn't appear to feature any SiS onboard chipset drivers. but there is a driver on the SiS website at:

click here

It's the second one, but SiS warns that your mobo manufacturer might use a different driver.

However, when I used the onboard C-Media 8738 sound chip on my Elite mobo (now have a SoundBlaster Live!) I use to download direct from the C-Media website without any resulting problems.

matthew-293741 09:27 22 Feb 04

stuart...thanks for your help....i couldnt find any drivers on the MSI website that seemed to do the job....i tried the ones from SIS...that didnt work either....if i buy a new soundcard will that sort out my problem?

Stuartli 09:32 22 Feb 04

Just checked that link - doesn't work...:-(

If you go to click here>Support and Downloads>Download Centre> click on the I agree link and then Driver/Software, you will see Search fields.

In the first one highlight Sis 645dx and then click Go - your driver should be the second one on the page (XP). This page is the one that won't show up in the Click Here in the previous posting.

If it doesn't work you can always Roll Back the driver in XP's Device Manager.

matthew-293741 09:36 22 Feb 04

stuart...thanks i have already downloaded the audio drivers from the SIS site...extracted and ran the installer....still no joy....does it seem right to you that there are only two options in BIOS...i.e...auto and disable?...again..if i splash out on a sound card will that over ride any drivers i may/may not have with my onboard?

Stuartli 09:36 22 Feb 04

As I mentioned, the MSI website doesn't list any SiS drivers - strange really...

Re the missing Volume control icon, go to Control Panel>Sound and Audio Devices>Volume tab>Select Volume Icon in the Taskbar Notification area check box.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…