Problem with Norton Liveupdate

John-257781 19:02 13 Aug 03

Hello there.
I have Norton Utilities installed and as part of this Liveupdate is also installed. It has worked fine until now, but when the icon for the update appears in the task bar it does not animate and although it appears to update successfully the icon cannot be removed. This causes an error so that I cannot shutdown until I have rebooted and the icon then disappears. I have been in touch with Norton who do not seem to want to know.
If anyone can help sorting this problem I would be most grateful.
Regards. Two Oaks.

pepe 19:15 13 Aug 03

Try running LiveUdate manualy, I think there was a small update to "Live Update" recently, and you may need that, or try re-installing Norton.

JoeC 19:16 13 Aug 03

but do know from previous ( and present ) Norton programmes on my computer that Norton products seem to benefit from an uninstall / reinstall now and again. Don't know why, but they do. I would make sure you have the latest version of LiveUpdate by checking the Symantic site and if that fails ( or someone has a better idea ) I would take out Utilities then reinstall.
I have Utilities / Firewall / Antivirus and have reinstalled Utilities three or four times, Antivirus twice and the Firewall once. It seems that adding a programme intereferes with the Norton installation - especially Utilities.

Stuartli 19:24 13 Aug 03

I've had various versions of Norton AV and Utilities installed over several years and all have performed faultlessly; updating is done on a daily basis as Symantec seems to be well on top of keeping viruses etc at bay.

There have been one or two small updates for LiveUpdate itself in recent weeks and they may need installing to cure the problem.

JIM 19:32 13 Aug 03

What version of Nortons utilities are you running
and what Win OS?

Can you also explain, "the icon cannot be removed this causes an error.

What do you do for to cause or force an error?

John-257781 16:36 14 Aug 03

hello - many thanks for all your messages.
To JIM - When I boot up the Liveupdate icon appears in the right hand task bar, then an error noise is heard from Microsoft (Windows98).
Instead of the Liveupdate icon being active (i.e. the top going round) it remains static.The icon cannot be removed by right-clicking and deleting.
When I attempt to shut-down this icon causes the computer to crash, and I have to re-start.
I have tried uninstalling the Norton Utilities (2002) and reinstalling, but no joy.
Syamantec have received three e-mails from me, but they do not appear to want to know.
Your help would be much appreciated.
Regards.

expertec 16:55 14 Aug 03

1. Open Windows Explorer.
2. Navigate to C:\Program Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate.
3. Click Edit, and then click Select All.
4. Press Delete, and then click Yes to confirm the deletion.
5. Empty the Recycle Bin.

To download and install Lusetup.exe:

1. Click the following link to start the download: click here

2. If prompted, click Save, Save File, or Save this program to disk, depending on which option you see.
3. When the "Save As" (or similar dialog box) appears, click the "Save in" drop-down box, and select Desktop as the location to save the file. Click Save.
4. After the download is finished, double-click the Lusetup.exe file that is located on your desktop. This installs Lusetup.exe

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…