Problem with Norton Internet Security 2005

Drax. 16:02 11 Mar 05

Hi
I'm running windows xp with service pack 2 and have installed Norton Internet Security 2005.
The problem is windows won't shut down or takes a long time to shut down with NIS .
I tried F secure 2005 on a 30 day trial and my pc worked fine .
Can anyone help me solve this problem ?

eego 17:01 11 Mar 05

Your not the first to have problems with installing Norton products. I assume that with NIS you have included NAV in which case Symantec themselves preach extreme caution before any installation. They emphasise that you must ensure that any other version of AV is cleanly removed otherwise there may be conflicts. I take it that F-assure was removed before you started!!!.
I had a similair experience and the only solution was to bring Windows up in "Safe Mode" uninstall Norton and used "System Restore" back to my last known working system.

ade.h 17:27 11 Mar 05

I can't offer a better solution than:

1) Search the Symantec Knowledgebase click here

2) Ditch Norton for F-secure or a free alternative (the usual supects regularly get promoted by forum users). I went straight to F-Secure rather than renew my NIS susbcription. I never had problems with the '04 version but the '05 update has had more critcism than usual.

ade.h 17:31 11 Mar 05

Re: eego's last suggestion - Symantec says in its KB that NAV 2005(and presumably NIS as well) will not uninstall in Safe Mode. click here

Drax. 20:36 11 Mar 05

Thanks for the advice , probably ditch NIS and go with F- Secure.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…