+++ PROBLEM WITH (NO) SOUNDS ON XP

pcdimwit 18:59 02 Sep 10

Hi, this sounds a bit crazy but my Acer laptop with windows XP has just stopped making "sounds" it doesnt play the start-up melody when I start it up and it doesnt play the melody when you log off, and you dont get those little tones when you are on sites and messages come in, I think I might have done something with the F keys, can anyone suggest how I set the sounds menu?? I just dont know where to look!! Is it in the "start" menu under control panel or can I do it from the F keys? I have run an antimalwarebytes programme to check that there are no viruses and its all clean, otherwise its running fine but the "sounds" just stopped for no reason??? thanks PCDIMWIT

tullie 19:12 02 Sep 10

Have you tried the Control Panel/Sound/Sounds to see if anythings disabled?

MAJ 19:13 02 Sep 10

Do any sounds work, if you play a CD, for example? If not, see if the volume is muted, by clicking on the volume icon in the systray (beside the clock, bottom right of your screen). My sounds can be muted by holding down the Fn key and pressing the F6 key, maybe your's is similar.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:21 02 Sep 10

HArdware mute button on side of laptop? usually in centre of volume up down buttons.

Have pressed mine by error several times.

Also look in device manager and check no exclamation marks against your sound device.

pcdimwit 19:47 02 Sep 10

jsut tried playing a CD and it isnt giving any sound at all, I cant find a sound icon in the system tray, only a Realtek audio manager, and nothing is muted on there. I cant find a mute button anywhere, the volume icon is full on, but no sound at all, also holding Fn and F6 doesnt affect the sound, where do I find out what all the F keys mean?? I did have an icon in the system tray that explained all this once but its disappeared. thanks PCDIMWIT

pcdimwit 20:31 02 Sep 10

the Speaker icon in the system tray is OK, I can mute it by prssing Fn + f8 on the laptop keyboard, but there is no sound at all, even though the vlume is up and the graphs of the CD playing are going up and down. just nothing, speakers are at highest level but nothing, where is the "device manager" and where do I access it??

pcdimwit 22:19 02 Sep 10

What a kluns I am!! it was the "wave" button that was taken right back to zero that was preventing the sound from coming through!! God Knows how I pulled that back, think its all OK now, thanks, PCDIMWIT!!! (i sure am!!)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced