problem with newdot.dll missing ..help please

bof:) 18:49 03 Jan 04

Hi All,

I'm trying to help an ICQ friend who is having to use daughters pc to get onto the net.

When she starts her PC she gets the following message:

c:\program~1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll is missing.

the pc then carries on until it gets to the win98 splash screen but she is unable to connect to the net using Internet Explore. ICQ will also not work.

She says that the program 'Pest Control' told her it was safe to delete this file.

I've suggested the following so far:

Check waste bin for file.

check to see if Pest Control has made a backup of the file....it has but she says it will not let here access it, it says performed an illegal operation when she tries to acces it.

She has also run Virus checker (updated 2 days ago) and uses ZA Pro.

She has also run ad aware/swatit/ A2 trojan detector etc.

I've checked to see if I have a copy of the file on my HD because I use win98 also. No

In Google I've read that the file maybe a trojan? Is this correct?

Any ideas would be greatfully received cos this lady is a great friend of mine and it would be wonderful if, with your help, I could help her solve this problem for her.

many thanks,

Mike

VoG II 18:52 03 Jan 04

You need to uninstall newdotnet click here

VoG II 18:54 03 Jan 04

... Procedure 4 I guess.

muppetmark 18:55 03 Jan 04

c:\program~1\newdot~1\newdot~2.dll is part of the newdotnet spyware, but it needs uninstalling correctly, it may need reinstalling then uninstalling to fix the problem.

click here

anon1 18:56 03 Jan 04

it is spyware to find the help you need click here

MAJ 19:07 03 Jan 04

And when your friend gets rid of it, suggest installing Spywareblaster click here to keep it (and others) from installing itself again.

bof:) 20:01 03 Jan 04

Hi All,

hey guys thanks for your help. I'll send all the website address' to her and let you know how she gets on.

many thanks again for your help,

Mike

bof:) 11:43 04 Jan 04

Hi All,

Just got a message from my friend on ICQ asking that I thankyou all for your help.

She followed the instructions you provided and her PC is now cured. She is now 'wonderfully happy' and as she says 'a little wiser'.

I gave her the web address for PCA and told her what a very helpful and friendly lot you are all here.

Thank you again for all of your help,

Mike

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:56 04 Jan 04

Most 'spyware' doesn't bother me at all but Newdot really take the rip....big time. It can be a complicated procedure, for the unwary, to remove their folder. Newdot is the epitome of major suckage, if you try to delete the folder it wrecks your dial-up and for this reason alone they deserve a DNS attack ;-))))

A tip for anyone with newdot, go to your C drive/windows/and scroll down to NDNUninstall548.exe., it is after the folders....double click on it and it will uninstall newdot after a reboot.

G

sinbad56 19:13 11 May 05

thanks for everyones advise ,
i had the bugger on my pc & it``s areal stinker
i think its finally gone after dowloading the new version of spy bot . but its still in msconfig /startup ....
anyone got any ideas????????????

sinbad56 19:13 11 May 05

thanks for everyones advise ,
i had the bugger on my pc & it``s areal stinker
i think its finally gone after dowloading the new version of spy bot . but its still in msconfig /startup ....
anyone got any ideas????????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…