Problem With New Hard Drive

AubreyS 09:43 31 Oct 03

Good morning all.
I have put a new hard drive in my laptop, a Toshiba 4030CDT and when I try to do FDISK it just comes up with no "No fixed disks present"

MichelleC 09:46 31 Oct 03

What os?

WaiKent 09:48 31 Oct 03

sure you connected the cables properly. dont know much about laptops but maybe a wire is loose.

AubreyS 09:49 31 Oct 03

Good morning Michelle. I was going to put Windows ME or 98Se on it. When I try to format it I get the message, Format not supported on drive C:

MichelleC 09:54 31 Oct 03

This gives you a bootdisk click here and this gives all fsdisk, formatting and partitioning; click here

AubreyS 10:01 31 Oct 03

I have used a startup disk and I've done FDISK many times but I don't seem to be able to do this one.

temp003 10:07 31 Oct 03

You should check the connections again, jumper settings are correct, and then start computer, and go into BIOS settings to make sure that the hard disk is detected. Use Auto-detect if necessary. Save settings and exit BIOS. Insert boot floppy, and fdisk.

If BIOS cannot detect hard disk, check whether your existing BIOS supports the new hard disk, and whether there's a new BIOS upgrade.

AubreyS 10:20 31 Oct 03

temp003.
There are no jumper settings on the laptop hard drive. I don't know how to get into the BIOS settings on the PC. I have put the hard drive into a USB caddy and looked at it on the desktop PC and all seems ok. I have formatted with Partition Magic but when I put it back in to the laptop I get the error messages that I have already stated. A.

temp003 11:31 31 Oct 03

According to the online manual, to access BIOS settings (Toshiba calls it TSetup), turn off computer. Then hold down the ESC key and turn on computer. When you receive the message "Check system. Then Press F1 key" - you press F1.

They have an article called "How to replace the Hard Drive in a Toshiba Notebook Computer". Unfortunately, all it says is their warranty does not include changing the hard disk, and asks you to use one of Service Providers.

AubreyS 19:05 31 Oct 03

Thanks temp003, I'll give it a try.

FEISAR 20:38 31 Oct 03

How bigs the hard drive as there is a limit to how large a hard drive the original version of fdisk can handle. Fdisk 2 is available for large drive support on the net.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…