problem with new hard disk drive

KeithMH 12:41 06 Nov 07

I'm trying to install a new HDD (160 GB). Everything seems fine until I try to setup Windows (98 with subsequent upgrade to 2000). Then I get the message "Setup cannot install Windows 98 on your computer. An error was detected while trying to read or write to your hard disk. To quit setup, press F3". At other times I simply get "Error reading fixed disk."

Can anybody help?

radi8or 13:28 06 Nov 07

KeithMH,

have a read here
click here
if it doesn't help come back.

Longhouse 18:24 06 Nov 07

I think W98 (and Millenium for that matter) have a limit on HDD of 137Gb. Not sure about W2K

You may need to fdisk into two partitions with maximum size below 137Gb. Had a similar problem myself with installation of WinME to a 200Gb disk.

woodchip 18:36 06 Nov 07

Yes Too big Hard drive will not work unless you first Create a C:\ Partition with something like Acronis Disc Director or Partition Magic

woodchip 18:37 06 Nov 07

PS you need to Create one about 50 Gb no more

woodchip 18:39 06 Nov 07

If you created a Image of the old C:\ Partition You could load this to the new drive. You need the old disc in and Acronis True Image to create a Image

Longhouse 18:54 06 Nov 07

Woodchip is right. The best and easiest way to handle partitioning a drive is to use a package as he describes.

However, If you don't have access to either of those packages you can use the DOS programme fdisk included with W98 (found under windows / command on a W98 install). Boot from a start-up floppy containing fdisk (not normally included with a standard boot disk) then run fdisk as outlined below

click here

boot disks and fdisk available from here

click here

You should then be able to install W98 to the drive.

KeithMH 09:08 07 Nov 07

Many thanks to you all for your suggestions. I'll try again as soon as I have a moment.

I'll let you know the outcome.

KeithMH 09:17 13 Dec 07

Sorry, folks, for leaving it so long. I eventually bought a new machine. It was about time, anyway.

Thanks, again, for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…