Problem with new AVG anti virus

notrom 10:39 18 Dec 04

Using regularly updated old version of AVG I haven’t had a virus in months. But the first time I scanned with the new version 7, Test Result indicated the following 5 viruses:

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8C4HCMKO\count4[1].jar:\BB.class

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\8C4HCMKO\count4[1].jar:\VerifierBug.class

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NUGRBH0X\classload[1].jar:\GetAccess.class

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NUGRBH0X\classload[1].jar:\InsecureClassLoader.class

C:\WINDOWS\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\NUGRBH0X\classload[1].jar:\Installer.class

All are listed under ‘Result’ as ‘Virus identified Java/ByteVerify’ and all are listed under ‘Status’ as ‘Infected, Embedded object’.

AVG’s Virus Encyclopedia defines these as follows:

This virus abuses the security vulnerability in Java Virtual Machine described in MS03-011, which gives posibility of runing potentially dangerous operation to java program (like working with files).
Trojan horse using this vulnerability changes Internet Explorer Home page.
The fix is available on Microsoft web pages like”

But a) according to Microsoft I’m up to date on all important security patches, and b) the only reference on Microsoft site for the virus I could find by searching for MS03-011 produced the following:

Download the Security Update for Microsoft Virtual Machine (April 9, 2003)
A security issue has been identified in the Microsoft virtual machine (Microsoft VM) that could enable a Web site to compromise your system and take actions such as changing data, loading and running programs, and reformatting the hard disk. Help protect your computer by installing the update available.
click here

However, clicking on this only gave the result that it could not be found.

Can anyone help advise, please? Am running Windows ME.

Thanking you in advance and apologising for any delays responding as there’s something called Christmas happening any time now and my partner says I have to do something about it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:52 18 Dec 04

Its a problem with the Sun Java Consul go on the Sun Java site for a patch.

notrom 11:05 18 Dec 04

Thanks Fruit Bat, but can you give a few more details, please? Have looked at site but can't find anything obviously relevant. I'm not a 'techie' and pretty pig-waste ignorant!!!

VoG II 11:08 18 Dec 04
  Eargasm 11:23 18 Dec 04

in my postings ta vog

winksey 11:32 18 Dec 04

I have the same problem & the link to the Java site tels you to open the Java plug in in the control panel and clear the cache, the problem is i cant find a java plug in in the control panel.

notrom 16:18 18 Dec 04

Sorry about delay, people, and thanks, winksey, thought it was just me being stupid! I have the same problem with no Java icon appearing in control panel. Have tried to follow Java instructions about what to do if it doesn't appear but to no avail. (Have deactivated AVG, Ad-aware, Spywareblaster - I think regarding the last 3 - but don't seem to be able don't seem to be able to deactivate Spybot) Any suggestions anyone?

I also saw on Java site something suggesting that if I don't see the icon I don't have the latest version of Java. Should I download it? Have no idea what Java is or what it does. As I said earlier, I'm not the sharpet tool in the box when it comes to computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…