Problem with new acer laptop

sugarbabe 13:32 30 Mar 10

I have new acer laptop running on windows vista every since first had it keeps randomly freezing. Tried to take back but pc world wouldn't believe their wasa a prob.

Doesn't seem to matter what programs i'm running or how long on for. will just randomly get really slow to respond then freeze. any ideas how to fix.

Also pcworld said i could update to windows 7 for free, would this cure problem, and where do i get windows dvd for free???

birdface 13:39 30 Mar 10

Some laptops sold at the end of last year with Vista, you could get an free upgrade to W/7 so whoever sold you the Laptop should have told you if you could do that or not.
Could be some drivers needing updated.
I am sure you will get some proper advice from those that know.

Technotiger 13:40 30 Mar 10

01727 202120 This is the phone number of PC Worlds' Head Office - Give them a call, I am sure that your problem will be moved-along much quicker. I would complain on the telephone in the strongest possible tones!! Let them know exactly how upset you are.

Make notes of everything they say or promise to do, and tell them you are making notes.

Good luck.

Let us know how you get on.

ame 13:42 30 Mar 10

If it is "new" and you haven't added software or caught a virus then they are obliged to fix it, surely? Have they taken it in and tested it? Do you have a Vista disk or a sperate recovery partition (often disk D) on your hard disk? You could use these to reinstall Vista back to the as-bought state, but you would lose any programs and data, so would need to backup first. If still problems, definitely PCW's problem.
I presume the laptop came with the free Windows 7 upgrade offer? You will need to ask PC World for the disk - do not just accept them putting W7 on it for you without any way of revering the O.S. later.

ame 13:44 30 Mar 10

That should be "...recovering the O.S." I don't revere Microsoft products!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:56 30 Mar 10

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

mooly 18:56 30 Mar 10

First thing to try is a factory reinstall using the hidden partition which will return the PC to it's "as new" state. 's all in the user manual which should be installed as a pdf on your hdd. Just type acer into Vistas start search/run box at the bottom left (click the orb).

You will lose any data etc so back all that up first.
What security are you using ?
Microsoft security essentials is free and ideal for a laptop... very light on resources.

When it's back up and running and updated don't load any software, just see if it all behaves OK.

Then install one application at a time :)

c4rm0 19:39 30 Mar 10

When the pc is freezing/running slow have you checked to see what processes are running in task manager? check CPU usage

zzzz999 06:29 31 Mar 10

PC World are one of those companies that have chosen not to trade under the terms and conditions of the consumer protection act. I would avoid buying anything from them.

morddwyd 07:32 31 Mar 10

Check the easy things first.

Make sure your memory sticks are not loose or, as already suggested, defective.

dms_05 08:26 31 Mar 10

Best advice is to reinstall to 'as new'. It's explained in the Acer documentation for your laptop.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now