Problem networking two PCs with a crossover cable

jz 22:16 23 Sep 05

I have two PCs, one running XP SP2 (with Windows firewall enabled), the other running W2000 SP4 (with free Zonealarm firewall enabled). I've connected them together with a cross-over network cable.

Neither PC has an administrator password set.

The XP PC will only let me get access to the W2000 PC if I disable the firewall for the latter. Is there a way to have the firewall enabled and to still get access?

The W2000 PC will not let me get access to the XP PC, even if I disable the firewall for the latter. It prompts me for the XP password, but I haven't set one up!

mgmcc 00:58 24 Sep 05

<<< The XP PC will only let me get access to the W2000 PC if I disable the firewall for the latter. >>>

It is the firewall in the Windows 2000 PC that is preventing you from accessing, so you need to enter the IP addresses of the networked PCs in Zone Alarm's "Trusted Zone".

<<< The W2000 PC will not let me get access to the XP PC, even if I disable the firewall for the latter. It prompts me for the XP password, but I haven't set one up! >>>

By default, File & Printer Sharing is disabled in XP. Have you actually set any folders as "shared" in their Properties, because doing so will enable F & P Sharing. The request for a non-existent password is usually because F & P Sharing is still disabled. However, also have a look at this page - click here

I would also suggest you install the same free Zone Alarm in XP and disable Windows' own firewall which is only a "one-way" firewall and doesn't control outgoing internet traffic.

jz 22:06 26 Sep 05

Thanks mgmcc.

I've put the XP PC in Zone Alarm's trusted zone, so the XP PC can now access the 2000 PC.

I haven't tried your suggestions on the XP PC yet but will do shortly.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…