Problem with network card?

ITBuffoon 11:28 29 Apr 09

can anyone help me with this one? can't connect to broadband with my laptop.

Phoned Virgin helpdesk, very helpful, but they are pretty sure it's a PC issue, possibly a network card corruption........

Anyway....my sister has a wireless network, with a desktop and laptop already running off it no problem. I have a laptop, which just doesn't connect to her broadband properly. (web browser says the page cannot be displayed)

the laptop can see the network, indeed says I am connected (have entered correct encryption key), but the access says local only (when hovering over the icon).

After checking Virgin's troubleshooting section last night, the IP address seemed strange and we ran IPCONFIG whilst I was talking to the support guy. This returned a IP address beginning 169 (as last night), which apparently is not good!!! We tried "/release" too but just got a message saying 'the requested operation requires elevation'. I have the password for the router if necessary.

Any ideas what I should do now? Is the network card faulty, and is there anything I can try before I take it in to a shop? I have connected OK fine for a few months elsewhere on other wireless
connections.

Thanks in advance

brundle 12:07 29 Apr 09

Did you try connecting with a cable?
"'the requested operation requires elevation'" - that means the command prompt should have been run as administrator by right clicking the shortcut and selecting er.. "run as administrator".

The 169 address is just confirming that you haven't successfully connected to the wireless network.

"Is the network card faulty, " - if you connect to other wireless networks without issues, no.

Some possibilities;

Your sister's wireless router may have MAC filtering enabled, which means it will only accept connections from a list of recognised devices. New devices need to be added to the list. Your laptop may not support the encryption method in use to protect the wireless network. There is interference from another nearby wireless network which your laptop can't overcome (not all wireless network hardware is created equal).

brundle 12:09 29 Apr 09

You will need to access the configuration menu for the router to check such things as the MAC filtering, using a computer that is connected with a cable. The access address varies with the wireless router manufacturer - what make and model is the router? Make and model of your laptop? Firewall/security software installed? Version of Windows?

ITBuffoon 15:20 29 Apr 09

Thanks for your help!

The Belkin wireless router is BEL136D6, model #F5D7230-4.
I'm using an Advent Laptop 5421, running Vista Home basic.
Using AVG anti-virus, no firewall (doesn't vista come with one?)

how do I get access to the config menu of the router, and with what kind of cable?????

brundle 17:09 30 Apr 09

Type 192.168.2.1 into the address bar of a browser to access the Belkin configuration menu.
An ordinary ethernet patch cable is all you need.
click here

ITBuffoon 11:38 01 May 09

Thanks - I was able to access the router from my brother in law's laptop without the ethernet cable actually, and just added the MAC address of my laptop to the router's aproved devices. Thanks so much!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…