AMD XP 1600
256MB Ram 133Mhz
Geforce 2 with newest Detonator Drivers
SB Audigy - with Newest Drivers
LG Dvd drive
15" TFT monitor
CDRW Drive
MS Optical Mouse

When I use my PC for games it has a tendency to lock up after about 1 hour. It locks up completely and nothing helps except rebooting.
If I run the PC with the FSB set at 133 I have this problem the PC crashes, if I set it at FSB of 100 the PC is ok. Now the PC runs quite happily when I am just using XP or when I am watching a DVD it is only when I play a game that this problem occurs. After entering the BIOS I have found that my CPU is usually at about 60oC is this to high?

Anyhelp would be appreciated as I am at the end of my tether, a clean re-install did not fix this problem.

Any ideas anyone?

©®@$ђ 14:20 21 Jan 03

that is too high for my liking!

should be around 45oC, try taking the side casing off (if you can, without voiding warrenty) to see if it cools it down and stops it from crashing..

don't know how much truth is in this. click here

AndySD 14:27 21 Jan 03

It does sound like a heat related problem as both watching DVD and gaming are processor hungry. Is the pc still under warenty if so contact the suplier if not it may well be best to invest in a new processor fan.

©®@$ђ 14:29 21 Jan 03

or add an additional case fan(s), have one at the front and one at the back of the case, that is if you have built it yourself, or have no warrenty..otherwise contact the vendor as AndySD has stated

MalcSP 14:49 21 Jan 03

It is unwise to run the computer without the case on. The case fans are rendered almost useless. The idea is to take the hot air out of the case. You should have case fans front and rear. However, 60 degrees is rather warm but not horrendously so. Do you run your games from the HDD or the CD? If the latter it is likely it is too slow. Also, are you sure your monitor has the right drivers? View the 'read me' on your games CD you may find there are settings and/or hardware combinations that need to be adjusted. Visit the game's site too. You'll find the latest information there.

gavbloke 15:08 21 Jan 03

thank you all for those suggestions. The PC warranty expired on the 10th December about 2 weeks before this problem started. I have installed another fan but that didn't really drop the temperature by very much, so I will try removing the case and see if that helps. If that solves the problem then I think a new CPU fan will be necessary.

IRT MalcSP I am using the driver disk that came with the monitor. And the games I am trying to run are running from CD.

Thanks to all.

©®@$ђ 15:19 21 Jan 03

let us know how you get on

good luck!

woodchip 15:51 21 Jan 03

Removing the side of the computer brings the temp down both system and CPU, I have a 1600xp+ running at the moment 1700xp+ but I have run at 1900xp+ for about a fortnight temps CPU 37c to 42c system 29c. A lot depends on the size of your case and how the motherboard it designed. I have no extra cooling other than PSU fan and CPU fan I only increased the fsb to 150/150 no problems at all

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Switch price…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…