Problem moviing files from desktop

coolteach 20:31 27 Sep 06

Occasionally for conveinience I'll save or download a file to the desktop of Win XP Home. However, when I drag it to a folder or drive icon also on the desktop, it copies it to the folder but also leaves the original rather than moving it from the desktop as I would like. My XP Pro laptop moves the file properly rather than copying it but I can't find the setting in XP Home to make it move rather than copy. I'm sure it must be a simple setting somewhere! Any ideas?

SANTOS7 20:35 27 Sep 06

click here
this may help..

coolteach 20:54 27 Sep 06

Thanks SANTOS7. How quick!

Interesting reading (I'd forgotten about dragging with the right mouse button). However, I still can't simply drag files from my desktop to move them like I'm sure I should be able to!

SANTOS7 21:08 27 Sep 06

This is a small quirk I have seen in Windows XP (several) times now: inability to drag and drop files (or icons) in the Windows XP user interface (Windows Explorer or the desktop. What causes it? Sometimes has to do with installation of new hardware (particularly mice), sometimes may follow installation of new registry editing software, sometimes the cause is unknown.

text taken from link..

click here
there is a registry fix but i am not sure if you really need to do this, if you do try it make a BACKUP first..

coolteach 21:31 27 Sep 06

Still no joy I'm afraid. I have discovers I can drag and move if I hold down the shift key though. I shouldn't have to though should I?

coolteach 21:53 16 Dec 06

Ah-ha! 3 months later I finally resolved this one! It was the fact that I was dragging to a different drive that was the problem!

* If Ctrl+Shift are held down, then the operation creates a shortcut.
* If Shift is held down, then the operation is a move.
* If Ctrl is held down, then the operation is a copy.
* If no modifiers are held down and the source and destination are on the same drive, then the operation is a move.
* If no modifiers are held down and the source and destination are on different drives, then the operation is a copy.

This is one of the few places where the fact that there are things called "drives" makes itself known to the end user in a significant way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Gear VR vs. Daydream: Which delivers the best VR experience?

Best Mac antivirus 2017