Is the problem the motherboard, processor or ME? !

Mannanan 16:10 26 Apr 03

I've a new system which is reporting the wrong processor speed. It's got an Athlon XP2600 chip but only reports a speed of 1.2 Ghz. The motherboard is an Elite K7S6A, BIOS Ver 1.0D.

I've looked on Elite's web site and I see that there IS a later revision to enable this board to 'see' the XP2600 processor. I've duly downloaded this file.

Now what? It seems I must use a bootable floppy, store this file on the floppy and with some utility program run this BIOS upgrade to update the motherboard.

However ... I use XP Pro and I can't see how to make a bootable floppy.

BUT .... I ask myself ..... would this just merely SHOW a higher speed, or will it actually persuade the motherboard to use the processor to its full capactity? At present the system is perceptively somewhat slower than an Inter 4 2.0 Ghz. (I understood the XP2600 should be quite a bit faster).

Would some kind person please advise me and perhaps talk me through the actions I need to take to get this downloaded file 'onto' the motherboard. I know that I have to change jumpers on the board to enable the 'flashing' but I'm not sure - within XP Pro - how to get the file into the BIOS. For example, does the file just 'self extract' or do I need a utility program to 'do the necessary'. I've downloaded WINFLASH.exe in case that is the program used within XP to update the BIOS.

A £10 donation to a charity of your choice will be given for an end to this 'problem' (which the vendor does not seem to want to solve)!

Regards
Mannannan

Sion 16:27 26 Apr 03

Is your CPU bus speed set at the right speed. Go into the bios and check your CPU Plug and play hardware settings. the clock speeds should be set to 133/133. This is one way of getting you bios to 'see' your CPU.

I had to do this on my XP2000, first it showed a 1.5ghz CPU, change clock speed, VOILA! hope this helps.

ardvarc 16:45 26 Apr 03

Read the relevant BIOS flashing. You will need a formatted floppy and if it is like XP Home make a bootable floppy. Follow the instructions below.

click here

After you have flashed BIOS reboot and go into BIOS with the DEL Key and on Frequency settings the CPU is 166 and if RAM is DDR 2700 then 166 and DDR 2100 then 133 save and exit.

If you think flashing the BIOS a bit daunting then just try the above frequency settings but you do need 1.0f flash to show CPU string

cream. 16:46 26 Apr 03

Before you even consider flashing the bios you should find out what flavor of cpu it is and check the bios settings.

The Athlon 2600+ comes in two flavors, the 266fsb and the 333fsb.

Now if it is the 333fsb model then your figures would come out like this.

Assume the bios is set at default 100mhz and your multiplier is set at 12 this would give you 100Mhz x 12 = 1200mhz or 1.2 gig cpu.

Now if the chip is 333Mhz, this is halved to give a 166Mhz bus speed. This would equate to 166 x 12 = 1992 Mhz or a 2.0 gig chip.

So check which version of the AMD chip it is and also check if the default 100Mhz is your bus speed in the bios. Also while you are in the bios see if the bus speed has settings for 133Mhz and 166Mhz.

Mannanan 16:48 26 Apr 03

Hello Sion

I've tried this .... but nevertheless, tried it again.

BIOS still says "unknown processor" although the reported speed has now increased to 1.7 GHz. However, I'm not SURE the speed of the system has actually increased .... just the REPORTED speed.

I understand the XP2600 runs at around 2.2 GHz. Is this correct folks?

Mannannan

woodchip 16:57 26 Apr 03

Try increasing the bus speed I have a XP1600 and have taken it all the way up to 150/150 which was XP1900 and kept it at that for two weeks without problems. but you need to watch the heat, I have the same board as you and the heat can be seen in the bottom left column in cmos

woodchip 16:58 26 Apr 03

Try increasing the bus speed I have a XP1600 and have taken it all the way up to 150/150 which was XP1900 and kept it at that for two weeks without problems. but you need to watch the heat, I have the same board as you and the heat can be seen in the bottom left column in cmos

cream. 17:13 26 Apr 03

It looks as if the board will only go to 133Mhz. This would mean the multiplier would have to be set at about 16. 133 x 16 = 2128 Mhz.

What is the maximum manual multiplier setting you can get on the board?

Is this a shop bought or home made system. The fact may be that you are trying to run a cpu in a board that either does not go to the required fsb or has not got the range in multiplier settings.

woodchip 17:19 26 Apr 03

read my post

woodchip 17:21 26 Apr 03

PS you can go over 150/150

Rayuk 18:51 26 Apr 03

Looking at the website you need version 1.0f bios to run the 2400+ & 2600+ cpus.
Before going any further are you running WinXP in Fat32 or NTFS as flashing the bios differs for both systems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos