Problem with Modem

Ginger_Rennie 21:13 21 Mar 03

I have recently swapped from AOL to Virgin Broadband. I deleted AOL from my computer, since then I cannot log onto virgin unless I re-run my speedtouch disc (upgrade/repair). What can I do to overcoome this?

Cuddles 21:52 21 Mar 03

Have a look in the registry and remove any references to "AOL". RUN>REGEDIT>EDIT>FIND>AOL>DELETE>ENTER>F3(TO RESUME SEARCH)then reboot.

Ginger_Rennie 10:49 25 Mar 03

Sorry, I'm a bit naive with computers, where do I find the registry?

graham 10:59 25 Mar 03

Start, Run, type 'regedit', OK, click 'Edit', click Find, type 'AOL', click 'Find next', delete the entry, F3, delete entry, ... until they've all gone, re-boot.

MAJ 11:03 25 Mar 03

Go to Start > Run and type in "regedit" (without the quote marks), click OK and the registry editor will appear. It's a dangerous place to go if you don't know what you're doing in there, Ginger_Rennie, so backup the registry before you do anything. To do that, click on "My Computer" while in the registry editor and go to File > Export and export the registry to your Desktop. This will give you a .reg file. If anything goes wrong, right click that .reg file and choose "Merge", that will restore the registry.

To follow Cuddles' suggestion, after you have backed up the registry, go to Edit > Find and type in "AOL" (without the quote marks) and click "Find Next". The registry editor will then find all entries for AOL one at a time. When it finds the first, delete it, then hit the F3 key on your keyboard to find the next entry, continue on until all instances of AOL are found and deleted. The registry editor will tell you when it has finished searching.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…