Problem minimizing windows

wesparmalee 15:47 20 Oct 06

I've noticed a real problem lately with my computer.It started with the mouse freezing for a split second, maybe two seconds max.There seems to be a general slow response when closing a normal web page as well.It's now got to the point where if i simply minimize a web page, it can take up to three to four seconds for this to happen.It will minimize but it slowly moves down the screen from top to bottom, instead of taking a fraction of a second as it should.At first i thought this was a memory problem, but after checking in task manager, there seems little activity.My cpu is stable and running at normal temperature.The only thing i can possibly think of is that maybe some settings somewhere are off.I've run a full virus scan and also checked for spyware, all is ok.I'm using Windows XP by the way.Any ideas?Thanks.

Jimmy14 02:35 21 Oct 06

Analye your harddrive to see if it needs defragmented and you should then see a speed increase if everything else is working ok. Go to start, my computer, right click your Local Disk (C) were your primary operating system is on, click properties, click tools at the top, click defragment now at the bottom. The windows defragmenting tool will appear and click analyze situated on the bottom left. After it's finished it will pop up with a message saying you either need to defragment the drive or not. Post back your results.If it says you should then do it and when it's finished, reboot your machine and post back if you see a difference in minimizing windows. If you have any problems in defragmenting, refer to this Microsoft support article,
click here

James

keith-236785 07:09 21 Oct 06

you seem to have checked most of what i would suspect to be wrong, one other thing you could check is that the graphic card drivers havent become corrupt (or are set wrong).

is your window the usual size, are the icons the same size as before, check the device manager for any Yellow exclamation marks.

if this only applies to web pages and your main windows screens (My Computer etc...) minimise quickly then it has to be an internet explorer issue.

maybe a repair of IE would help or maybe just resetting defaults might solve this.

to rester your IE settings open IE, click tools/internet options, click the advanced tab and click the button called "restore defaults"

hope this helps

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now