problem with microsoft word

pollpott 15:15 20 Feb 05

I recently installed XP over ME and reinstalled MS Word. However I now get 2 messages 'operating sys. not presently configured to run this application' and then 'This application must be installed to run. Please run setup from the location where you originally installed the application.' I have tried reinstalling it from the CD but it still gives the same messages, it is quite an old version, 1997 does this matter?

€dstowe 15:19 20 Feb 05

If you installed XP on top of ME you most likely have residues of previous programs lurking around on you hard drive which are preventing you updating/reinstalling afresh.

It is always better to do a clean install of XP than dumping it on top of an old operating system you may have in there.

I would try uninstalling Microsoft office suite then reinstalling.

freaky 18:45 20 Feb 05

Is your Microsoft Word 97 on a stand alone CD, or did you originally install it as part of a Microsoft suite?
Also is Word 97 showing up on your Add/Remove Programs list, if it is then uninstall it from there, then re-install from your CD.

I installed XP Home upgrade to this Pc on top of Windows ME, Word 97 worked OK before and after without any problems.

ade.h 19:07 20 Feb 05

Once you get this sorted, go to click here for updates.

pollpott 21:09 20 Feb 05

Thanks for the help, it's sorted.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…