Problem with Low Disk Space

The Potter 19:51 18 Dec 10

Our Win xp pc has been intermittantly restarting itself for a few days now but this morning I had a real job to get it to stay on and it wouldn't start in safe mode.

Now I have finally got it going it is continually reporting there is critically low disk space (some 32mb). I removed some 400mb of unwanted programs but it didn't make a difference. I then deleted a file that was over 300mb and when I checked the space on c drive it showed there was over 400mb. This only lasted for about five minutes and then the low disk space error came up and it's was back to 30mb.

I have been able to update AVG and have done a full virus scan, nothing came up. I have not installed any new hardware or software.

When the disk check runs it reports different things each time but each time it says it fixes them. I sent an error report to windows and that was corrupted.

Please could you advise what I should do next? I'm also wondering if it could be a physical problem with the hard drive.

Many thanks

TP

rdave13 20:28 18 Dec 10

If you have Ccleaner then run it to get some space back. It sounds as if a backup program is continually backing up.
WinDirStat will show what is on your hard drive. I recommend you do not use that program to delete anything as it can delete windows files. Just use it to see what is on your drive. click here

rdave13 20:36 18 Dec 10

Here's a similar thread that could give some clues; click here

The Potter 00:21 19 Dec 10

Had a quick look at the other post - thank you! 6 pages to digest though - not there yet!

Ran the CCleaner and removed another 300mb, then ran the WinDirStat. This reported that some 22GB was being used on .chk files. Deleted those without any problem. I'm sitting now and waiting to see if it happens again so please do keep an eye on this, I may be back on Sunday evening!

THANK YOU

TP

The Potter 00:23 19 Dec 10

NB: I have no backup prog.

Devil Fish 00:56 19 Dec 10

When the disk check runs it reports different things each time but each time it says it fixes them. I sent an error report to windows and that was corrupted.

i would strongly suggest that you make available a new hard drive if you have exhausted previous posts and the problem persists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5