Problem logging on to Hotmail

Barney1946 22:39 13 Feb 05

I am using XP Home edition on a brand new 80 Gig Seagate hard disk, I have an ADSL Netgear DG834 Firewall Router. Have tried to connect to my account at Hotmail but after inserting my name and password the login window sits & goes no further than the 4th green bar. I've since loaded AdAware, Spybot and Norton but they've not reported anything wrong. No sites are blocked or restricted. I can surf anywhere else without problem. Have used an Internet Cafe p.c. and can connect to Hotmail without problem.

EdFrench 22:50 13 Feb 05

You need to check for blocked sites - popups etc.
Check your firewall settings to see if hotmail.com is on the banned sites list. same with any third party pop-up stopper.

Barney1946 23:04 13 Feb 05

Thanks Ed, but I've already tried this and can't find anything.

rsturbo 03:22 14 Feb 05

to get into hotmail with the dg834g you need to have a mtu setting of 1400 (they are set as default at 1458 i think). its in the lan settings of the router. if you need more help post back

Barney1946 17:04 16 Feb 05

Hi RSTurbo,

Thanks for replying, Hotmail is not my ISP, my problem occurs when I enter my login and password. I can access the Hotmail login site. Info from Netgear says MTU settings are for problems with ISP sites, which is not strictly true in my case.

Barney1946 09:32 19 Feb 05

I downloaded Firefox from Mozilla.com web site and after logging on to Hotmail a message flashed up that the site could not be accessed at this time, then immediately all my emails appeared. Been using Firefox 6 days now without problems. Thanks for all your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…