Problem loading Xp on a new Pc

GizDan 19:17 10 Sep 06

Hey i built a new pc, but i am trying to use my old harddrive but it wont boot up when the old hard drive is put in my new pc (works fine in the old one). The drive shows up in the bios along with the cd drive the new ram etc etc.

The new pc is as follows..
Tul New Motherboard 200P AX480A-GF socket 939 AMD64
Amd athlon 64 3500+ Vinice core
80 seagate drive
old cd/dvd drive

Its prob just me being stupid but when it starts it goes though post and everything show up fine, then goes to the windows failed the load last time screen, i try normal and last settings and safe mode but none of them work it just restarts and goes back on a sorta loop

Diodorus Siculus 19:23 10 Sep 06

Have you taken the disk out of an old machine and put into a new one?

If so, the problem is that XP has loaded drivers etc for the old pc and when it finds the new hardware it gives up.

The best thing is a clean install; failing that boot with XP CD and try a repair.

Stuartli 20:08 10 Sep 06

XP doesn't always like a new motherboard - I always do as Diodorus Siculus mentions and that is to do an XP Repair. See:

click here

for details to save typing it out.

Make sure that the choice you make on the second request to Install is Repair and NOT Recovery Console.

GizDan 21:18 10 Sep 06

Hey thanks for replys.

I have found my 160gb drive which has no system on it and no data to loose... so i am tryin to do a clean install of windows Xp from the disc (yes its a real one not fake) but it goes though the blue screen stuff where it cheaks the drive etc but when it reboots after the partition stuff (to go into the main install bit) it goes back to inspecting the system again (blue scrren)... and just loops round instead of goin into installing xp.

the cd is a bit old and slighty worn so im gussin that might cause a problem, the drive is also gettin old. i suspecting one of these is causeing it not to be read right and therefore going into the wrong part of the install.

Any Ideas?

Thanks
Dan

Diodorus Siculus 22:33 10 Sep 06

Try copying the disk if you can; that often sorts out any read problems. Then install with the copy.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

Best running headphones | Best sport & fitness headphones: 4 brilliant pairs of wireless…