Problem loading Windows

BIGBAGGY 13:50 02 Aug 03

My friends son has done something to his computer and now Windows loads so far then reports an error with explorer and will not load any further. No icons come up. When I try to load through "safe mode" the same thing happens. How can I locate the problem and remove it and get his Windows up and running again. Its an old computer running Windows 98 on a Pentiium 133.

Lú-tzé 14:02 02 Aug 03

Do you have the win98 CD? If so, try rinstalling it over the current setup - you will most likely need a boot disk - from, for example, click here

BIGBAGGY 14:28 02 Aug 03

I tried reinstalling Windows but it says I need an upgrade disc not a full version.

Lú-tzé 15:50 02 Aug 03

In that case it may be necessary to do a format and reinstall of windows to get it going. But I would wait for other suggestions first.

There is also a list of unsupported switches for installing win98 - it will mean that setup will not check to see if a copy exists already. I will have a search for that and if I find it will post back.

Lú-tzé 15:57 02 Aug 03

click here

# /na - This switch bypasses the program check and can use the following values:

* 0: default
* 1: No Windows-based program check, but MS-DOS-based program are blocked.
* 2: No MS-DOS-based program check, Windows-based programs are blocked.
* 3: No Windows-based or MS-DOS-based program check.

OK when you go to setup, try typing

setup /na 3

with spaces as are there. That should make setup ignore you version of windows that is there.

pj123 15:59 02 Aug 03

To get a full version of Win98 to install you will need to find a file called "command.com" and delete it. There should be two files, one in C:\ and one in C:\windows delete both these files and then try your win98 disc again.

BIGBAGGY 17:03 02 Aug 03

I'll try these, thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…