Problem loading Service Pack 4 on Win 2000

Unplugged 10:37 06 Dec 03

I have Windows 2000 professional. I have tried to load Service Pack 4, both from Internet via Windows Update and directly from CD. I am logged in with Administrator security level. All seems to go well until end of installation process when I get the following error message "Catalog files unable to load". The MS problem solving guide does not seem to cover this one.

Has anyone else encountered this?
Please let me know if you have found a solution?

Thanks

MichelleC 11:10 06 Dec 03

haven't heard of this one. Is the cd a copy of the d/load? If so a file in sp4 may have become corrupt on d/load. If they're different sourced then maybe running sfc 1st before updating may fix. Worst senario is 'repair' option which will wipe out all updates (but not data), then try.

Unplugged 12:00 06 Dec 03

Michelle, thanks for your response. The CD is sourced separately, so not a copy of the download. Not sure what you mean by "sfc", sorry but can you spell it out for me?

MichelleC 13:34 06 Dec 03

Maybe there's a corrupt system file: at command prompt type sfc /scannow and it'll source from w2k disc. if you want to find out if any system files were amended (I got this from a good source):

Click Start, Run, Type: eventvwr.msc and then Click OK

Click System

Then under Source find Windows File Protection (WFP) If there are only two entries, it means 1) It started 2) It finished.

If there are any more it means it has replaced a file. Just double click it to find out what it has done.

MichelleC 13:35 06 Dec 03

... note space after sfc.

powerless 13:39 06 Dec 03

You sure did.

Unplugged 14:48 11 Dec 03

Thanks for the suggestions - turns out it was a corrupt catalog file. I tried the scannow command and got some files replaced but this did not resolve the problem. Then I found a partial answer to this on a MS Knowledge base article (see link below):

click here;en-us;281458&Product=win2000

But in addition to the .cat file file mentioned in the article I also needed to replace nt5prtx.cat (the clue to this was that this file was also copied into the backup folder by the SP installer).

Out of interest I phoned MS support and asked if they could help - they wanted to charge £185 to provide support for this. What a nerve! £185 for them to tell you why their software doesn't work!
Why don't they just build some proper error logging and diagnostics into their installer?

(rant over)

Unplugged 15:01 11 Dec 03

For some reason the above link didn't work - the Microsoft article reference is: 281458
. .
U

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…