Problem loading operating system on Compaq laptop

cyberphobic 14:02 11 May 04

I have just bought a Compaq Armada 7400 - 366MHZ Celeron, 128MB RAM, 6GB HDD - without an operating system or drivers loaded. Having checked on the M/Soft website for minimum specs needed for Windows XP, I have tried to load XP but only get so far and then the same error message appears "data error (cyclic reundancy check)" I have also tried to load Win 98SE but get a different error message with that, anyone got any ideas on where I go from here please?

Diodorus Siculus 14:31 11 May 04

I can't rack anything specific down, click here+(cyclic+redundancy+check)%22&spell=1 for google's results.

Try getting aboot disk and from bootdisk.com and use it to fdisk adn format the hdd.

Then try loading Win98 - it will be far better suited to your machine than will XP.

Diodorus Siculus 14:37 11 May 04

click here is the google link again.

cyberphobic 23:10 11 May 04

Thanks very much for your helpful responses, after much patient messing about (and I mean MUCH!)I managed to get WIN 98SE to load successfully. I take your point about that being the most suitable O/S for the present set up, the reason I bought that particular laptop though, was for it's upgradeability ( is that a word? ) so I'm intending to up the memory to 256MB and the CPU to 1000mhz eventually which will be fine for XP. Anyway, thanks again.

dfghjkl 23:26 11 May 04

you need 512 to benefit from using xp,also your 6 gig hard drive will only last 5 minutes if you are going on line,win xp is 1.5 gig,add,ms works (word etc),norton and a few utilities etc and you are up to about 5 gig before you load a game or photo suite.if the ms website reccomends your current specs,then it is for a differant xp than i use,mine uses 256 ram just to get going.i know people run xp on less,but i guess they are happy with their way.i would not like to see you spend money on upgrades and still not be able to run xp.an xp disc is not cheap,so would you not want to use it to its maximum?

cyberphobic 23:36 11 May 04

Thanks for your advice, my children's PCs are fairly basic (PC Chips M810 mobos, 1.4 Athlons and 256MB SDRAM) but they are fine for surfing with our Pipex 512 Broadband. That's all I want to use the laptop for around the house using the wired network. I always think that PCs are a bit like Hi-Fi, you always aim for perfection, but never get there, so at the end of the day it's all down to what compromise you're prepared to accept in terms of expenditure and practicality.
You pays your money etc etc!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…