Problem with link

fitshase 14:37 10 Jun 07

I'm using Dreamweaver to create my website to show my photos.

I have the website and I am trying to get a link to open in a certain frame but it will not work. I want to use frames so I don't want comments of "ditch frames and do this instead...." as frames works for me and is simple to use. All I want is this link to open correctly.

I have 2 frames on the page - the main one is named "main_frame" and the bottom one is named "bottom_frame". All simple there.

Now, I have the gallery links in the main_frame opening their respective galleries in "_self". This works fine.

I have the bottom links (to the galleries menu and to the homepage) opening in "_parent" which works fine.

However, I am trying to get a link in the bottom_frame to open a page in main_frame. I have set it to "main_frame" and it doesn't work. It opens a new window instead. I have tried everything and it still doesn't work.

Have a look here (click here). Click on the "All images © Ross Chapman" link and it should open this page (click here) in the main_frame. As you can see it doesn't.

The code for the link is:-

a href="copyright.html" target="main_frame">All images © Ross J Chapman /a>

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

Eric10 15:25 10 Jun 07

In deference to your wishes I will only say that in your frameset you need to change id="main_frame" to name="main_frame". Also change id="bottom_frame" to name="bottom_frame".

fitshase 15:58 10 Jun 07

Eric10

Thank you thank you.

I have been pulling my hair out with this problem. I have changed id to name and it is working fine now.

Excellent. Cheers

Eric10 10:08 11 Jun 07

Although you haven't asked for help with this I have noticed that when browsing with Firefox and going to your copyright page, the bottom frame develops scroll bars. Whilst I can't see any obvious reason for this the easiest remedy is probably to disallow scrolling in the bottom frame. This is done in your frameset by adding scrolling="no" in the definition for bottom_frame.

fitshase 08:37 12 Jun 07

Eric10,

Thanks - I've made the necessary amendments.

Fourm Member,

I only use 2 frames in a frameset (one main frame and one small bottom frame) and 99% of browsers support it and it works fine. As mine is very much a personal site, I don't see why I should cater for the 1%.

I use Flash on the site to display the gallery because it "works for me" and displays the photos well. When asking for feedback on my site before, I was told to ditch Flash as not everyone has it installed (or some people don't like it), ditch frames because it doesn't work on all browsers, etc.

If I was to ditch frames to cater for the 1%, my time in changing the site would increase (time I don't have). Furthermore, if I ditch flash because of the minority who don't/won't have it, my time updating the site will increase to such a stage that it will not get updated.

I am catering for the majority not the minority. I use IE and the frames work well. Friends use Firefox and the frames work well.

The reason I put the comment on the post was to explain that I was after the solution to the frames problem and not something else entirely.

Cheers for your input though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 7 simple tips to get more out of…